AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Hi, I'm Phil!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Default Hi, I'm Phil!

My name is Philip or Phil for short as the thread title suggests. I'm a 29 year old father of one located in Houston, Texas. I have been keeping fish for a little over a year now. As many fish keepers before me, I was hooked into multiple tank syndrome ever since the fish I purchased for my son's sixth birthday decided to have babies in his 10 gallon tank. I always liked fish, but my only experience besides the fish I'd eat on my plate was a goldfish (my only pet ever) in a bowl I had when I was a little kid. That poor fish was soon killed by little brother, a toddler at the time, as he thought the fish wanted to try some chocolate syrup with him. Since then, I guess you could say I've always wanted a second chance with keeping fish.

I currently have two community tanks with discus, a 125 gallon domestic and a 75 gallon wild. At this moment of time, I apparently deleted the photos I took today for uploading on this post, so I'll get some uploaded tomorrow. I also have three 29 gallons, one is an Asian themed planted tank that I plan to make into a 75 gallon once I see another dollar per gallon sale or better on craigslist for Facebook Marketplace. Another 29 gallon is my platy and cherry shrimp breeding tank that I'm just letting them go wild while I'm performing weekly water changes and frequent feedings. The last one is my son's first mollies that luckily have stopped making babies because I sold the males a few months ago along with our first 10 gallon tank. I have a 20 gallon quarantine tank and another 20 gallon that will be set up at a later date when I have my new tank rack built.

I'm mainly here at Simply Discus to gain more knowledge for the fish I've fallen for (discus of course). I've gone from just wanting to keep them, to wanting to be lucky enough to breed them one day and experience that process as I find it fascinating. Anyways, I'll post updates here in the Homestead area of my work in the garage (my fish room) as it comes. Thanks for reading!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Default Re: Hi, I'm Phil!

I remembered that I posted my 75 gallon tank on a Facebook group, so I was able to save it to my computer and upload it here. :-)

Last edited by Phil4Discus; 01-01-2019 at 12:44 AM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Nice Phil, where did you get your wild discus from?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi, welcome, well done so far and Happy New Year
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Nice Phil, where did you get your wild discus from?
    Pat
    My wife purchased them at a local fish store nearby for my anniversary gift. They were labeled and sold as wild blues, though I'm not familiar with wilds so I'd be interested in an actual strain ID. I asked on a facebook group when I got them and got several different answers. lol

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Hi, welcome, well done so far and Happy New Year
    Thank you and happy new years to you as well!

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by Phil4Discus View Post
    I remembered that I posted my 75 gallon tank on a Facebook group, so I was able to save it to my computer and upload it here. :-)

Oooh, love me some wilds. Yours look great, happy and healthy. They are indeed wild blues/browns. The location, i.e. “common name” however I can’t tell from the pictures. Any chance you could ask the lfs your wife bought them from?
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens