AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus had a some slight clamped gills, but then ok then laying on side

Registered Member

Exclamation Discus had a some slight clamped gills, but then ok then laying on side

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Bought 3 new discus at store. Fish were okay for 1 week.

The one that's sick is the aggressor between 6 other discus.
    I cleaned out the tank, moved rocks and wood.
    After that he played shy, and hid underneath rocks. I also added a background to the tank

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills,*white/yellow/green poop, hiding,*headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus,*blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

I noticed that his right Gill wasn't moving as much as the left side. I timed his breathing, and it was approx 160/m.

Panicking, I setup an old 13.5 fluvial Evo tank. The filter from this tank has been sitting in my sump for 1.5 months. I used to have shrimp and small fish in this tank, and just moved everything to another tank.

So I put the filter back in the 13.5, took %50 of the water where he came from (90 gal with 75 gal sump) and put it in the Evo, I already added an air stone. I then topped it up directly from the sink and added dechlorination. He stayed in the tank for a 2 days. Didn't eat. I didn't feed blood worms. Tried to add mysis shrimp, he wouldn't touch it.
    I tested amonia, 0 nitrite, 0 ph was 7.8. nitrates were 10-20 after water change. (I'm thinking from filter)

Today, I drained %50 of the water, added more water from the tap, then added dechlorinator.

Left him for a few hours, came back and he was on his side at bottom of tank.

Not sure what to do now. I will turn off the lights. It was on the blue light

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Nothing yet. I tried to buy metro but not available from big Al's.<Canada>

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    Original tank 90 gal with 75 sump
    2 dension barbs
    2 bleeding hearts
    4 other tetras
    5 harlequin rasborsa
    6 nerite snails
    7 discus

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    I usually fill a barrel for water, heat over night then fill.

Last week I bought a python hose to fill directly. I add hot and cold water, then add dechlorinator.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

90 gal & 75 gal sump tankis bare bottom and has been running for 5 months. Sump has been running for 8 months.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Not the previous 2 fills

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ____30c_

- ph ___8__*

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____10-20 after 30% water change

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _yes___

- RO water ____

I've had my tap water tested, and it was high in gh 15 & kh 20 or reverse

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    No

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

I feed the new guys blood worms, mysis shrimp, and tropical d50, and some other flaked food, algae wafers. I do not pre soak.

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Will get one shortly

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus had a some slight clamped gills, but then ok then laying on side

Shoot, fish died..

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Discus had a some slight clamped gills, but then ok then laying on side

Sorry to hear. You probably did but the dechorinator needs to be added prior to filling with straight tap.

Registered Member

Shoot.. I'll add the dechlorinator before I fill moving forward. I retested the water, no ammonia. Is it worth while to add a general med to the bug tank? Or small one? I'm thinking of isolating a small discus that is getting bullied, and is very small compared to his brother.

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Shoot.. I'll add the dechlorinator before I fill moving forward. I retested the water, no ammonia. Is it worth while to add a general med to the bug tank? Or small one? I'm thinking of isolating a small discus that is getting bullied, and is very small compared to his brother.
    You might get more responses if you are able to post pictures.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    I add dechlorinator as I fill and never had any issues, but then again, I also age my water for 24 hrs. Any other symptom other than clamped gill? since he was the aggressor, I wonder if he over ate and had some digestive issues.

Registered Member

He was hiding more than usual, and the fast breathing....

Registered Member

3 new discus have quarantine before go to other discus, if not you have your answer