ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A year later - My tank Journal

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: A year later - My tank Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    Did You still feed 4+ At four inches? Also, I had a nice surprise last night. This is with no eggcrates. For some reason the Tangerine discus gave up and left the pair alone. Hopefully this lets them learn how to defend the eggs. I’m not expecting a batch out of here, just a lesson learned for the pair. So far they attack anyone who gets near.
    About three times a day Mando
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Shawn

Those are some beautiful wilds you got.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Not much here but I’m happy to say that I finally grew my second batch to 5”.

This is the blue SS. The alanquer is a little bigger.
    9919BCF6-765A-4AEF-8379-184E3D9F20F7.jpg

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

No real update guys. I had my doubts of getting a 3d background and I think I would enjoy a planted tank better. I selected a few plants to put into the discus tank but I figured I’d grow them out while I QT some Neons, Harley Quinns, and Corys. So one thing led to another and, low and behold, I have a high tech planted shrimp tank. I will grow out these plants and take cuttings for the maintank. This is a co2 injected shrimp tank and my first attempt on a planted tank. Here is the tank at day 15.
    90AF73BC-35BC-4692-B37B-EA57557981A7.jpeg

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Also, whoever can help me with the plant off to the right. It perked up after putting it into my tank but at day 10, It started to drop it’s old leaves. If you look closely, it has a lot of new growth between the old nodes but I’m even finding those small leaves on the surface.

As for the main tank, my two BDs are pairing, my SS is pairing with my Largo Grande wild, my Marlboro with the red cover, and my PB’s are a confirmed pair. And I want to be wishful, but I believe I saw some flirting between my two green tefe wilds.

Here is day 1
    CF93BA8D-8C9A-4343-A2F5-7D04155C2791.jpg
    Last edited by Mando; 09-09-2019 at 08:59 PM.

My experience with plants it that they change with the environment and can "morph" to some extent. Your plants would have come from somewhere where they are very well cared for, optimal nutrients etc. They will get use to your environment, so long as it is not completely inappropriate for plants. Sometimes they change shape completely. Years ago I had an amazon sword that changed from a broad leaf plant into a skinny leaf bush.

If you are really concerned, old leaves yellow and drop when nutrients are lacking. When a plant is short on nutrients, they tend to move the mobile nutrients from old leaves and transfer it to the fresh growth sites. Nutrient availability is also highly pH dependent, plants can show deficiencies even when nutrients are abundant, if the pH renders them unavailable.

Does that ammonia alert sticker thing work? Useful tool if it does.
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

The weird part is that the plant is losing it’s good leaves. No yellowing or browning whatsoever. I doubt the shrimp are plucking them off.

Sticker does work and never showed me anything different than the liquid test. I also have it on the main tank as well as the PH sticker. Ph always matches my apex ph probe. I still test with liquid once a week by no means is it a replacement.
    Last edited by Mando; 09-09-2019 at 11:13 PM.

I might have to chuck a sticker in my sump, thanks for the share.

Leaf abscission is the term used when plants chuck their leaves suddenly, might be worth googling.
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by cooper666 View Post
    I might have to chuck a sticker in my sump, thanks for the share.

Leaf abscission is the term used when plants chuck their leaves suddenly, might be worth googling.
    Will do. I also daw a youtube video that says most stem plants will lose it’s leaves when transferred to a new environment and that it will come back. .

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Small update.

Plants are exploding. Pretty soon the main tank will be a planted tank. I will take cuttings from shrimp tank and transfer them.

IMG_2522.jpg
    IMG_1891.jpg

This is day 36. I forgot to add the text. This is an o2 injected tank.

IMG_2531.jpg
    IMG_2532.jpg
    IMG_2533.jpg
    The surfer shrimp
    IMG_2530.jpg
    IMG_2512.jpg
    IMG_2511.jpg

The blue diamonds are from my first batch that you guys help me save. So these are way stunted but I love them (history age graded influence)

IMG_2068.jpg
    Last edited by Mando; 10-04-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

As I was taking pictures, I started to notice really big eyes on the SS and he's just turned 1 year old. His eyes should not be that big. Do you think this is starting to be some sort of pop eye effect? It could be my tank's glass that magnifies it a little bit, but then my anxiety started kicking and I felt haunted by all my fish. They all seem to have their eyes extended about 1-2mm out of there body.

I just hope this isn't an issue. You can see the SS pics below and a few others.

IMG_2517.jpgIMG_2516.jpgIMG_2513.jpg

I think the clown loach loves the discus feedings. I threw him in at 1inch and this little guy has grown in the last 2 months; he's about 2.5 inches now. I thought loaches take a long time to grow.
    Last edited by Mando; 10-04-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    Also, whoever can help me with the plant off to the right. It perked up after putting it into my tank but at day 10, It started to drop it’s old leaves. If you look closely, it has a lot of new growth between the old nodes but I’m even finding those small leaves on the surface.

As for the main tank, my two BDs are pairing, my SS is pairing with my Largo Grande wild, my Marlboro with the red cover, and my PB’s are a confirmed pair. And I want to be wishful, but I believe I saw some flirting between my two green tefe wilds.

Here is day 1
    CF93BA8D-8C9A-4343-A2F5-7D04155C2791.jpg
    If you're talking about the short plant, that looks like a cryptocoryne and they are noted for what they call melting, or transplant shock it should bounce back they just don't like being moved around.

Jeanne

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Sturiosoma View Post
    If you're talking about the short plant, that looks like a cryptocoryne and they are noted for what they call melting, or transplant shock it should bounce back they just don't like being moved around.

Jeanne
    It's the tall plant in the top right corner. But she stopped melting and should start growing soon. I figured it was a shock from moving her.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

The largo Grande was flexing for me this morning.

IMG_2560.jpg
    IMG_2563.jpg

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

The crypts in the shrimp tank went through a major shock from a 50% water change and started melting. I do 20% WC weekly now. However, I might get rid of this plant since it's not ideal for a discus tank and their big water changes. I was reading that a small change in temp, tds, and ph would send them into shock. I did add more shrimp to the tank. 5 Blue rilis, 10 red rilis, and about 15 fire red shrimps. I will post pics later tonight.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast