ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beef Heart Prices

Registered Member

Default Beef Heart Prices

I am in need of beefheart. Hans has beefheat by the pound. $20 per pound and you have to by at least 2. I'll be out $40 is this expensive? Anyone have ideas. Make my own is out of the question..also how long does it last? In the freezer will it last a year?

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Beef Heart Prices

Hans is Stendker distributor so I guess he sells Stendkers good heart mix.The price for Stendkers good heart is the same here in Europe too and it's a darn good mix, well worthed the money IME.
    I don't do beef heart mix , I just hand grate it straight from a freezer . Maybe that would be a more convenient option for you too .
    It can last more than a year in a freezer.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Do you guys see exceptional results from using beef heart? I never really thought of it, and my fish are doing fine wit BH flakes, ALs fdbw, and tetra color bits +d50 granules.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    Do you guys see exceptional results from using beef heart? I never really thought of it, and my fish are doing fine wit BH flakes, ALs fdbw, and tetra color bits +d50 granules.
    Your food selection is sufficient for optimal growth IMO .
    BH is the cheapest alternative for growing discus , that's why it is so wide spread among discus keepers . It provides good growth but fouls the water in the same time .

Real Name
    Brian

$20 per pound? Wow! I pay $1.79... As long as it's sealed in an air tight bag it will last a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    I've always fed a BH mix and have had great results. There are many recipes out there, ranging from bh alone or adding shrimp, veggies and vitamins...

Registered Member

Shipping was 40 so I'm out on Hans to expensive. I live down the street from Golden State discus. Will call them up.

Real Name
    Rick May

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    $20 per pound? Wow! I pay $1.79... As long as it's sealed in an air tight bag it will last a long time!

I've always fed a BH mix and have had great results. There are many recipes out there, ranging from bh alone or adding shrimp, veggies and vitamins...

My reaction as well... $20.00/lb?? That's just crazy talk.

Registered Member

So I checked with Golden State discus. AKA Aqua Life in Rocklin CA. $12 per LB. I bought this before. If I buy 3 I get 1 Free. Lol. I may get 2 beef heart and 1 blood worm. I've tried brine shrimp and never had luck.

Real Name
    Brian

Is this a beef heart mix or just whole beef heart? If it's a mixed recipe I can see the price.

Check with some of the local Asian or Hispanic grocers or meat markets in the SF. Beef heart is used quite often in their home cooked recipes...

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Is this a beef heart mix or just whole beef heart? If it's a mixed recipe I can see the price.
    Here is the Stendker mixed recipe I was referring in favour to :
    http://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/g...d,index,0.html

It has some very good balance of binders that keeps the food components compact from decomposing , and it's very soft for discus to take bites in the same time . That way you can leave food leftovers for a prolonged time without them decomposing and fouling the water .
    Thats what made me recommend it even though I'm a thrifty person when it comes to expenses .

i think i last paid a few bucks a pound, and butched cleaned it for me.
    and i've gotten pretty lazy with my recipe. 50% BH 50% quality flake

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Your food selection is sufficient for optimal growth IMO .
    BH is the cheapest alternative for growing discus , that's why it is so wide spread among discus keepers . It provides good growth but fouls the water in the same time .
    i found that processed foods foul water more.

Registered Member

These are all beefheart mixes. I have no time to mix it up... That said if anyone want to sell me some of your successful beef heart mixes I'm up

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Lewjo11 View Post
    These are all beefheart mixes. I have no time to mix it up... That said if anyone want to sell me some of your successful beef heart mixes I'm up
    If you have no time nor wish to experiment and prepare your own beefheart recipes then paying some extra money for already prepared beefheart mixes sound reasonable to me .

Real Name
    Kevin

I pay about 2 bucks per pound from Publix and they'll trim the majority of the fat off at request. Your local butcher should be able to order it in for you. I typically order around 80-100 pounds at a time and it'll last me around 4 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast