ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beef Heart Prices

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Default Re: Beef Heart Prices

Our beef mix is not the same as the good heart from Stendker. We can't (legally) import this because there is beef in it.

Of course our beef mix is not only beef. It has beef round (trimmed), shrimp, cod, peas (all from food store so no crap) flake, pallets, vitamins, minerals, etc etc

If you think $20/LB is too much, fine, make your own lol lol
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Real Name
    Jeff

I think there are two different discussions going on here. One is for the price of beef heart bought from the butcher which is usually $1-$5 per pound. The other discussion is for the price of a beef heart discus food mix which is usually $15-$20 per pound for a good high quality mix.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

I live in the Chicago area and there are two family run businesses that I buy beef heart MIX from. They cater to two different buyers. Chicago Discus sells homemade mix geared more for adult discus. They sell it in a big ziplock bag for $30 which is about $20/lb. Sometimes they have primo mix made with veal hearts for $40. I'm not exactly sure if they ship

For folks that buy dime to nickle sized discus, Some Fin's Fishy sells a mix for them. They have a special grinder that really creates a very finely chopped mix great for very small fish. But this mix does create a mess unlike the Chicago Discus mix. They do ship to surrounding Midwestern states and it's $10/lb plus shipping.

Third option which I haven't tried is homemade, high protein non beaf mix which is suited for yellow discus. That is keeping them yellow. It's from another great local Chicago based business named Exotic Discus.

Anyway, I think $20/lb is a good price. $10/lb for growout is great. Have compared these prices to commercially made BHM? You can find them in the freezer at your big box pet stores. They are crap. I once bought them but my discus refused to eat it. The ingredients just lists beef heart which means it's not really a mix. It's sold for $8 per 3.5 oz package and it's mostly water. This works out to $36/lb for inferior product.

I'd gladly pay $20/lb. If you keep it vacuum sealed, it can last 6 to 9 months.

Just look at this video. These mixes are very nutritious!

https://youtu.be/vOZZkgPfm1M

Registered Member

I pay around free to $4 per pound already mix including FedEx shipping.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 01-19-2019 at 06:34 PM.

I just made some... BH was$3/lbs and I could only use less 33%. So 33% made it around $9/lbs. If I was more patient I would have maybe gotten more. Add to the couple of hours trimming and cleaning
    .. I thought to myself...maybe $20 is not so bad LOL
    Eric

Wait, what? I have to to this....

Edit: referring to Publix trimming at $2/lb... not used to smartphone posting yet.
    Eric

Registered Member

I gave up on beef heart some time ago. Somewhat because of price but mostly because of the time and trouble
    preparing it. I now use a seafood/chicken breast mix with all the normal additives and it's great. Fish hammer it
    and it takes about 1/10th the time to make it. Try it, youl'l like it . Sowill your fish.
    Jay

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    I gave up on beef heart some time ago. Somewhat because of price but mostly because of the time and trouble
    preparing it. I now use a seafood/chicken breast mix with all the normal additives and it's great. Fish hammer it
    and it takes about 1/10th the time to make it. Try it, youl'l like it . Sowill your fish.
    Jay
    That's understandable, I know one person that bought ground turkey from Safeway.

Cliff

Real Name
    Willie

I made my own beefheart mix 5 - 6 times and decided that I didn't love the hobby that much. In this DIY phase, I also tried chicken and turkey as substitutes. Turkey is super lean and hardens like concrete. Raw poultry, however, is ALWAYS contaminated with Salmonella. It's simply not safe to be doing this in my kitchen. Since then, I pay for commercial mixes from SD sponsors and have had very good results.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-Hans View Post
    Our beef mix is not the same as the good heart from Stendker. We can't (legally) import this because there is beef in it.

Of course our beef mix is not only beef. It has beef round (trimmed), shrimp, cod, peas (all from food store so no crap) flake, pallets, vitamins, minerals, etc etc

If you think $20/LB is too much, fine, make your own lol lol
    Peas are very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Protein, Vitamin A, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Thiamin and Manganese. Shrimp is a unique source of the astaxanthin and other carotenoids showed that it displayed the highest antioxidant activity against free radicals.. It's also an excellent source of selenium and vitamin B12. This shellfish is a very good source of protein, phosphorus, choline, copper and iodine. Cod is a good source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. It is also rich in vitamins B12 and B6, niacin, as well as vitamins E, A, and C. It is a good source of phosphorus, potassium, selenium, and other trace minerals.

Twenty bean per pound? Seems like a bargain for this offering.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12