AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here and looking to learn

Registered Member

Default New here and looking to learn

Hi everyone. I’m Joe and I live in south Florida. I’ve been breeding fish at the hobby level on and off since the late 90s. I have bred both fresh and saltwater fish including livebearers, bettas, many cichlids, loricariids, tetras, scalare angels and into marine species like clownfish and a few other marine ornamentals but I have never had a single discus in my collection. I personally never loved the look of the designer crosses but recently I’ve become fascinated with learning the wild types. South American cichlids and planted tanks have always been my true love even after many years keeping and breeding several marine species.

I’m currently in the process of setting up a 125 lightly planted with intentions of keeping wild type discus and altums and probably some small dither tetras. I’ve already gone through and read most of the info available on here about nutrition and water quality standards for discus. I don’t have any questions just yet but they’ll be coming.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: New here and looking to learn

Welcome to Simply Joe We are here for whenever you are ready with the questions. I think you will find discus a lot different then keeping other fresh or marine fish.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Thank you, I’m hoping so. I am excited to be working on something new.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Welcome, Joe! Since you're in SFL, your in luck with wilds and possibly wild atums. Jack Wattkey is in north Miami and has a huge selection.

I also love cichlids and I can say that I have well over 30 different cichlids in my pond. About 150 total.
    Last edited by Mando; 01-04-2019 at 07:39 AM.

Real Name
    Patty

Hi Joe,
    Welcome to Simply Discus. My next discus tank will be wilds as I’ve become infatuated with them. I am also from south Florida. Are you on the gulf or ocean side?
    Thanks for sharing your journey into wilds. I’ll be watching, learning, and drooling as your new project unfolds.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Tobi

Welcome, Joe.

Nothing beats a nice wild discus tank, in my opinion.

Your stocking plans seem sensible, however I would focus on getting the discus settled first before adding the Altums. Though not as bad as other angel fish they can be quite greedy eaters and in my experience it helps when the discus are already established in the tank before adding this kind of competition.

Have you thought about which species (strain) of wilds you want to keep?
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    Welcome, Joe! Since you're in SFL, your in luck with wilds and possibly wild atums. Jack Wattkey is in north Miami and has a huge selection.

I also love cichlids and I can say that I have well over 30 different cichlids in my pond. About 150 total.
    Yes! I’m in Broward county and have already been in contact with Gabe. I’ll probably go down there and pick them in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Hi Joe,
    Welcome to Simply Discus. My next discus tank will be wilds as I’ve become infatuated with them. I am also from south Florida. Are you on the gulf or ocean side?
    Thanks for sharing your journey into wilds. I’ll be watching, learning, and drooling as your new project unfolds.
    Patty
    Ocean side! Just a few miles west of Ft Lauderdale beach. I am terrible at keeping up with my own build journals but I’ll be sure to post as I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    Welcome, Joe.

Nothing beats a nice wild discus tank, in my opinion.

Your stocking plans seem sensible, however I would focus on getting the discus settled first before adding the Altums. Though not as bad as other angel fish they can be quite greedy eaters and in my experience it helps when the discus are already established in the tank before adding this kind of competition.

Have you thought about which species (strain) of wilds you want to keep?

I haven’t settled on a locale yet and may not settle until I’m actually picking fish with Gabe. If I understand correctly his altums are significantly smaller than his discus right now which is good. Realistically I don’t know that I could swing buying everything at once even if I wanted to. The tank isn’t even wet yet so I don’t want to get ahead of myself lol

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDigiorgio View Post
    Yes! I’m in Broward county and have already been in contact with Gabe. I’ll probably go down there and pick them in person.

Ocean side! Just a few miles west of Ft Lauderdale beach. I am terrible at keeping up with my own build journals but I’ll be sure to post as I go.

I haven’t settled on a locale yet and may not settle until I’m actually picking fish with Gabe. If I understand correctly his altums are significantly smaller than his discus right now which is good. Realistically I don’t know that I could swing buying everything at once even if I wanted to. The tank isn’t even wet yet so I don’t want to get ahead of myself lol

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!
    If you’re getting them from Gabe I assume your choices for reds and blues will be Batata, Jacarecappa or Cuipeua this year. I’ve recently selected some myself, went with Batata and Jacarecappa. You’re in for a treat...
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    If you’re getting them from Gabe I assume your choices for reds and blues will be Batata, Jacarecappa or Cuipeua this year. I’ve recently selected some myself, went with Batata and Jacarecappa. You’re in for a treat...
    His Cuipeua that he got in are absolutely stunning and definitely the first ones I want to see when I’m there. A friend of mine had some wild blue heckles a couple years back and those were also amazing.

Is it frowned upon to keep more than one wild strain in the same display? I don’t plan to breed but if it happens I won’t be stopping it. In my experience even in displays sometimes a couple of babies can survive with good parents. I’m not a big fan of crosses as I’ve said but the discus community seems welcoming to it more than other communities.

Real Name
    Tobi

I don’t think it’s frowned upon, many people keep all 3 species together.

I prefer to keep mine apart simply for aesthetic reasons. If I could I would even separate them by location, but that’s not possible due to space restrictions (read wife restrictions)
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member

I can very much relate. This tank was only sanctioned by the wife because our kids are now old enough to enjoy an aquarium and she finally missed having a display in the house. This will be my first display tank in 2 and a half years since buying this house.

It comes with stipulations too. She doesn’t want black water in the living room and there have to be a decent number of dither fish for my sons to enjoy. Thinking tetras, corys and probably capuchin swordtails.

Real Name
    Tobi

I’d personally pass on the swordtails. If you get some large cardinal tetras and some Sterbai cories there will be plenty of color to enjoy. Your call of course
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member

Why not swords? They seem like they’d be perfect tank mates?

Real Name
    Tobi

Just a personal preference as they are not South American.

But definitely nothing wrong with adding them.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member

Ah yes normally I’d feel the same way but I already have them and they grow into really impressive fish in a larger aquarium. I was making sure there wasn’t a compatibility issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast