ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Routine deworming schedule

Real Name
    Tobi

Default Routine deworming schedule

I知 interested to see other people痴 opinions and practices regarding routinely deworming their fish.

I was never much for it. But Yesterday I did deworm my big display tank as I have a few fish losing condition.

Then hours later I see this:

11CE8101-93A5-49E8-84DE-50838B1F9B2E.jpeg

This fish looks perfectly healthy, eating well and no issues at all. The string actually grew to a foot (I知 not exaggerating) before he dropped it.

So now I am considering to nuke all my fish in certain intervals. This time around was with Prazi as I suspected tapeworms. Next would be a round of Flubendazole in a month or 2 to stay on top of things.

Vitor from Santarem Discus told a friend of mine that wilds should be dewormed every 3 months to stay on top of things. I知 inclined to agree.

So what ya値l think?
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Routine deworming schedule

I like Al's approach to this Tobi. He deworms in QT and only repeats it if the fish may have been exposed to worms again. Routine deworming only benefits the maker of the de-worming meds.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Vitor from Santarem Discus told a friend of mine that wilds should be dewormed every 3 months to stay on top of things. I’m inclined to agree.

So what ya’ll think?
    If you dewormed them thoroughly once and did not expose them to new fish that had not been dewormed or something like snails, Routinely deworming isn't necessary and can just cause stress and possible organ damage. You just need to consider that worms don't just appear in a tank of fish, they are brought in. Best practice is deworm all new fish as part of a long QT and if you do odds are you won't need to again.

Tobi,
    On your fish, Tape worms are treated with Prazi, and thats what it looks like to me you have. You dosed that once? Best to repeat the prazi in a week or two for tapes.. Prazi has limited affect on other worms though so ..Flubendazole is a good option, levamisole is as well. Odds are if they had tapes, they probably have nematodes as well.

Hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I like Al's approach to this Tobi. He deworms in QT and only repeats it if the fish may have been exposed to worms again. Routine deworming only benefits the maker of the de-worming meds.
    Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    If you dewormed them thoroughly once and did not expose them to new fish that had not been dewormed or something like snails, Routinely deworming isn't necessary and can just cause stress and possible organ damage. You just need to consider that worms don't just appear in a tank of fish, they are brought in. Best practice is deworm all new fish as part of a long QT and if you do odds are you won't need to again.

Tobi,
    On your fish, Tape worms are treated with Prazi, and thats what it looks like to me you have. You dosed that once? Best to repeat the prazi in a week or two for tapes.. Prazi has limited affect on other worms though so ..Flubendazole is a good option, levamisole is as well. Odds are if they had tapes, they probably have nematodes as well.

Hth,
    al
    Thanks Pat, thanks Al.

I have indeed introduced some fish (plecos) that I haven’t dewormed, so they are likely the source.

Second prazi dose is planned for 7 days after this first dose.

I will use flubendazole as well, but will give them a few weeks to recover. I can’t get Levamisole locally, so have some on order from the states. I’m not sure it will get through customs. Apparently it is used to cut cocaine or heroin or some other fun powders.

I have flubendazole on hand, and I like the fact that it is absorbed through the skin, so it catches any possible non eaters aswell.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Sounds like you are good to go then Tobi.

Ironic you can get flubendazole and we have a hard time getting it. It used to be very common here. We can get levamisole easily but you can't.For a while we had a hard time finding it also... I think it was due to the use as inert carrier for illegal drugs ... but I seem to remember it was also being evaluated as a cancer med and so was pulled from the market. We used to get it as pig and goat dewormer before that.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Pretty sure flubendazole is only available from one place here in the US, but fenbendazole is easier to get than levamisole .

Tobi, have you used flubendazole before? I find it easiest to administer with a plastic water bottle filled maybe 1/3. Shake it like crazy for a minute, and the powder will suspend.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Pretty sure flubendazole is only available from one place here in the US, but fenbendazole is easier to get than levamisole .

Tobi, have you used flubendazole before? I find it easiest to administer with a plastic water bottle filled maybe 1/3. Shake it like crazy for a minute, and the powder will suspend.
    Weird ain't it?!

Cautionary note to anyone reading this. fenbendazole is not the same as flubendazole. They are closely related dewormers that can both be administered in the food. Fenbendazole should never be added to the water for Discus or Angels unless you want to see very unhappy fish (tail standing, burns and death are very likely) Flubendazole can be added to the water, just don't overdose. Our archives here are full of sad stories of lost fish because people thought that these were the same meds.

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post

Yes Adam, I have used it before. It’s my go to med for nematodes, due to the ease of use. I have a readymade suspension from the UK and the Kusuri powder.

I also have fenbendazole, but since I can’t guarantee that all are eating the medicated food I will stick to the flubendazole.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Weird ain't it?!

Cautionary note to anyone reading this. fenbendazole is not the same as flubendazole. They are closely related dewormers that can both be administered in the food. Fenbendazole should never be added to the water for Discus or Angels unless you want to see very unhappy fish (tail standing, burns and death are very likely) Flubendazole can be added to the water, just don't overdose. Our archives here are full of sad stories of lost fish because people thought that these were the same meds.

hth,
    al
    Yes, an important distinction
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Are any of these meds snail/invert safe? I have assassin snails, scuds and red cherry shrimp that live in the substrate, and sump of my tank.

Haven't used levamisole, but flubendazole is shrimp safe. Snails are hit or miss, expensive ones like assassins will probably perish. It also does a number on planaria.