AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Eheim Pro 3 with 500W heater

Registered Member

Default Eheim Pro 3 with 500W heater

Does anyone have first hand experience with this filter? I want to know if it’s configured in such a way that I can add a controller to the heater for safety. I have the opportunity to add a fully cycled and aged one of these filled with media to my current 125gal build but I don’t know if it’s worth it if I have to rely on the built in controller.

Thanks in advance!
    Joe

Real Name
    Tobi

Default Re: Eheim Pro 3 with 500W heater

Hi Joe,

I am running 5 of those spread over the 3 tanks. Mechanically they never failed me. Two of them aren’t heating, they came like that from the dealer. Because I ordered them in Germany I didn’t have an opportunity to get them checked. They still show the temperature though and they “pretend” that they are heating. I’ve never had one overheat. As far as I can see there is no way to add a seperate controller.
    If it’s heating at your friend’s chances are you’re good to go. Just don’t rely on it as a singular heat source. I have several 300w heaters running in each tank, set at 27c, so in case the eheims stop heating the temps won’t drop below that.

Also the digital temp display shows one degree Celsius higher than it actually is on one of them. It’s important to have an independent thermometer in the tank to monitor the temperature.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    Hi Joe,

I am running 5 of those spread over the 3 tanks. Mechanically they never failed me. Two of them aren’t heating, they came like that from the dealer. Because I ordered them in Germany I didn’t have an opportunity to get them checked. They still show the temperature though and they “pretend” that they are heating. I’ve never had one overheat. As far as I can see there is no way to add a seperate controller.
    If it’s heating at your friend’s chances are you’re good to go. Just don’t rely on it as a singular heat source. I have several 300w heaters running in each tank, set at 27c, so in case the eheims stop heating the temps won’t drop below that.

Also the digital temp display shows one degree Celsius higher than it actually is on one of them. It’s important to have an independent thermometer in the tank to monitor the temperature.
    Thanks for the response! I’m second guessing the idea. I’ve always used Eheim classics in the past and loved them but not being able to add a controller to the heater kind of turns me off and makes me feel like maybe it wouldn’t be worth spending the money on. At only 125gal it’s a big heater to not be able to control externally.

Real Name
    Tobi

Depending on what the deal for the used one is it might still be worth it to get it and run without the heater. The media capacity is phenomenal
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens