ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johney

Default Re: Help

Dose metro while your doing all those water changes for your sick/stressed fish. Odds are , they need it eventually. Good Luck

I wouldn't do that unless The fish start not eating or picking up food then spitting it back out again. Now that the fish are doing better are you seeing anything like that? Also, is their poo black like healthy Discus' poo should be?
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

First, you are not a dummy (I read your other post)! a lot of us fall victim to this. I went to an LFS and saw a beautiful fish (discus) and purchased it. Once in my tank, I searched for knowledge because of interest to this type of fish. It's a common thing.

We will help you as much as we can and let's learn from this. I want to point out that you only purchased 2 discus. Unfortunately, discus should be kept in a school of 6 or more, unless paired, then you can keep two in a breeder tank. Are there any signs of white feces? they are really stressed I'm sure. New tank, new water parameters, only 2 fish, non cycled tank, they had ick, etc. I would add some salt to calm them down and to alleviate the stress a little. I would also up the temp to 86-89 to promote hunger. If you cannot purchase any more discus any time soon, then I would return them to the LFS.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

i wish i had found SD first i have been looking around on here and would love to have some of AL's wild green X THIN LINE SS CROSS GOODNESS THEY ARE STUNNING, and as for getting more to go with these should i get some more from LFS I got these from my Daughter works there so everyone knows me and i don't think the guy that sold these to me would lie when he said (the breeder they come from was his most trusted breeder he deals with ), and almost scared to buy more of this batch, and then trying to return them may
    make me feel like a looser OH WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

How many can i put in this 29 tank. I wish i could upload picture i keep getting a message saying i'm not allowed to

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Combo View Post
    How many can i put in this 29 tank. I wish i could upload picture i keep getting a message saying i'm not allowed to
    Since discus do better in groups of 6 or more, the recommendation for at least a 75gal tank comes into play. What I would do is hold off on buying more discus until you educate yourself more on the site (or ask more questions ). I would purchase a 75g tank and set it up for discus. Use your existing tank for QT or hospital. Then purchase from one of our sponsors at least 6 discus at least around 5 inches in size. Keeping discus is an educational journey but an extremely satisfying process. I think you would be happier in the long run.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Johney Blaze View Post
    Dose metro while your doing all those water changes for your sick/stressed fish. Odds are , they need it eventually. Good Luck
    It's not really a good idea to treat with meds "in case they might need it".
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

I don't have any aquarium salt so could i use canning & pickling salt

If you have to use salt as a treatment, regular table salt is fine. Sodium chloride is sodium chloride no matter what name they give it.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

[QUOTE=fljones3;1310830]Since discus do better in groups of 6 or more, the recommendation for at least a 75gal tank comes into play. What I would do is hold off on buying more discus until you educate yourself more on the site (or ask more questions ). I would purchase a 75g tank and set it up for discus. Use your existing tank for QT or hospital. Then purchase from one of our sponsors at least 6 discus at least around 5 inches in size. Keeping discus is an educational journey but an extremely satisfying process. I think you would be happier in the long run.[/QUOTE

I have a 75 gallon it is set up and running i had tetras in it and a few weeks ago we had a winter storm lost power for 4 days i left out on sunday morning to drive my wife home in the snow and before i got home trees had fell and blocked the roads could not get back to my house til about midday Tuesday had lost everything in my tanks except for fresh water lobster that and a pletco is only thing in the 74 right now it has about 2 inches of gravel in it so i put the discus in the 29 gallon to grow them out and had planned on adding discus to the 75 with the tetra has neon and serpae tetras long fin and short fin

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

short story maybe i had the neon's and serpae tetras in the 29 gallon had 3 Amano shrimp 1 vampire shrimp when bought the 75 got it set up and moved the tetras to the 75 left the shrimp in the 29 gallon about a week went by i was sitting in chair beside the 29 watching the shrimp the vampire was the coolest thing he turned colors allot and he had turned royal blue for the first time so i was watching him fan the water and something caught my eye so i got to looking what is that swimming around in the tank is that baby shrimp what is that well turns out it was serpae fry and every few days i would see more and more that happen for about 2 weeks and sadly at the time of the storm had about 25 serpae fry I lost because of the trees down could not get to my house I have a chainsaw but it was in the building on the other side of the trees so lesson learned and i have a generator now too run my tanks with if power goes out and soon getting a whole house generator for future events

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

short story maybe i had the neon's and serpae tetras in the 29 gallon had 3 Amano shrimp 1 vampire shrimp when bought the 75 got it set up and moved the tetras to the 75 left the shrimp in the 29 gallon about a week went by i was sitting in chair beside the 29 watching the shrimp the vampire was the coolest thing he turned colors allot and he had turned royal blue for the first time so i was watching him fan the water and something caught my eye so i got to looking what is that swimming around in the tank is that baby shrimp what is that well turns out it was serpae fry and every few days i would see more and more that happen for about 2 weeks and sadly at the time of the storm had about 25 serpae fry I lost because of the trees down could not get to my house I have a chainsaw but it was in the building on the other side of the trees so lesson learned and i have a generator now too run my tanks with if power goes out and soon getting a whole house generator for future events

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I wouldn't do that unless The fish start not eating or picking up food then spitting it back out again. Now that the fish are doing better are you seeing anything like that? Also, is their poo black like healthy Discus' poo should be?
    i did see one of them pick up food then spit it back out then grab some of the smaller pieces . Yes the poo is black

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    If you have to use salt as a treatment, regular table salt is fine. Sodium chloride is sodium chloride no matter what name they give it.
    Thanks i didn't know if the iodine in it would be ok

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast