ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using just RO water , non planted tank...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johney

Default Using just RO water , non planted tank...

I use RO water only for my discus...is that bad ? Do I need to put something back in for the fish to be happier ? Or am I good ? 60 gallon tall. 1 blue D , 1 Snow White, 1 avacodo pleco.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Using just RO water , non planted tank...

I would think they would need some minerals in the water Johney unless you are doing daily water changes.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I would think they would need some minerals in the water Johney unless you are doing daily water changes.
    Pat
    I would still add minerals or tap water, especially with young discus

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I would still add minerals or tap water, especially with young discus
    +1 on going tap. No need to waste so much RO water when not needed. Furthermore, you should keep more than just 2 discus in that size tank, unless they are a couple that is.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Filip

Most people using RO water ussually remineralize with commercial products or mix with at least 10-20% tap water . Aiming for at least 3 degrees GH and KH or 70 ppm TDS is a safe zone to keep you safe from PH crash.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johney

Tap is bad here ... Ive used RO with no issues ever with other fish. I got lucky with my 2. It all depends on your situation...I got these 2 knowing they would be ok because they were paired for months whenever I would visit my LFS..just them 2...so there transition was seemless. They swim together and never fight. I just add salt every other day when I do a water change. Personally I think adding bad tap is a bad idea....ammonoia etc..I might try the wonder shell mineral recharger...

Real Name
    Mervin

Is there a reason you add salt regularly.I don't think it's a good idea.South American fish do not like or need salt regularly.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

If the discus are already approaching adulthood I don't think the absence of minerals in the water would directly be an issue on the fish because 1) they get most of their requirements from the food 2) discus in some of their original habitat manage just fine in 0 hardness water. Rather I would be more concerned about the effect of the lack of carbonates (KH) on the filter, again for 2 order of reasons: 1) the nitrifying bacteria actually require just over 7 mg of CO3- for every mg of ammonia oxydised to nitrates and 2) the absence of a pH buffer will leave the water open to the possibility of rapid pH drops (particularly if water changes are few and far between, as nitrates in water will tend to hydrolise into nitric acid). If the pH drops rapidly the nitrifying bacteria practically stop working (you can get your filter used to low pH but it has to be done sloooooowly). I have kept tanks with no alkalinity (Crystal Red Shrimp), but had to constantly monitor pH, ammonia, nitrates and keep up the weekly water changes. For domestic hybrid discus I think it is safer to aim for a a KH of 2-3 at least
    Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 01-11-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Johney Blaze View Post
    Tap is bad here ... Ive used RO with no issues ever with other fish. I got lucky with my 2. It all depends on your situation...I got these 2 knowing they would be ok because they were paired for months whenever I would visit my LFS..just them 2...so there transition was seemless. They swim together and never fight. I just add salt every other day when I do a water change. Personally I think adding bad tap is a bad idea....ammonoia etc..I might try the wonder shell mineral recharger...
    Can you expand on why your tap water is bad?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johney

I add a little salt trying to put at least something in with my RO , a couple of small pinches. Just tested my water pH is 6, nitrites 0, nitrates 5-8 , Kh and Gh are both 0. My tap is super hard and lots of ammonia.. all I do is temp my RO and pour it in slowly. I got super clean water, maybe too clean . I'm gonna try that wonder shell today ,it brings back magnesium and calcium that fish love

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johney

Ty Paul for your input .

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Do you use a de-chlorinator on your tap water Johney? If yes the your test kit can be showing a false positive after using the de-chlorinator.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johney

I only use RO . I was wondering if there are certain rocks that charge the water with calcium and magnesium....if anybody knows which rocks..that would be awesome. I would position a cluster of rocks in the tank. They would have to be smooth round rocks preferably. Rivers in their habitat are being charged by thier native rocks. Seen a cool video of that.

Real Name
    Steve

Sedimentary rocks like shale, sandstone, limestone, will leach out minerals into the water. Granite is a good one that shouldn't affect the water. I've used rounded smooth granite river rock before. I have a couple large pieces of quartz in my tanks. One problem with rocks it that stuff collects under them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johney

Agree. I just purchased Kent Discus Essential at the LFS...1 teaspoon per 30 gallons , it says. I will check GH and KH and pH ...just to see what changed. I just did a water change and applied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast