ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy discus (other fish) online

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Default Where to buy discus (other fish) online

I woke up this morning to find my old discus had passed away. Unfortunately, my LFS sucks, so I'm going to have to go online. Where should I start? I've never bought fish online before, because I want to see the fish and their environment they live in before I bring them home. I'm unable to do that now, so I'm trying something new.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Where to buy discus (other fish) online

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenmelondiscus View Post
    I woke up this morning to find my old discus had passed away. Unfortunately, my LFS sucks, so I'm going to have to go online. Where should I start? I've never bought fish online before, because I want to see the fish and their environment they live in before I bring them home. I'm unable to do that now, so I'm trying something new.
    Hi Eric, I would suggest checking out the SimplyDiscus sponsors. Here are all the sponsor boards http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...iscus-Sponsors. Read thru some of the boards and see what other members have to say.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Eric,
    I totally agree with Pat on using our sponsors for discus. I've used The Wet Spot for other fish and plants with good results. I'm not recommending them for discus.
    Steve

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenmelondiscus View Post
    Kenny's Discus...just the best! He should have his January shipment coming out soon so good timing for you. I was in your boat a few months ago and gave Kenny a try. He will not disappoint!

Real Name
    Bill G.

I second what Maddie said. I’m sure there are several fine suppliers, but my four shipments from Kenny C. we’re fantastic....great fish eating quickly, super well packed, and most importantly, Ken’s service was awesome. He answers questions, is patient, is picky abt sending only the healthiest fish, and he stays in touch long after fish arrive. His Jan. list came out just today. I wish I could get more, but am maxed out for my 75g tank. Working on the wife for a larger one...... I have yet to hear of a dissatisfied customer and when next I need more, he will be my go to man.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I bought my 8 adult discus from Dennis's Discus Shop in Sept 2018 and had an excellent buyer experience with great follow up care. Dennis still msg's me to see how my fish are doing. His fish are excellent quality Asian discus from Vietnam and Malaysia. He is getting a new shipment of 280 discus in the next few weeks. He is SD's newest sponsor and I thoroughly recommend him to you!

The Sponsors here are a great place to start. Because they are on this site they have alot of skin in the game.Their reputations matter to them and they want to be here. These things combined will give you the safest buying experience in most cases.Though I am sure there are other vendors out there that will do well by you, there sadly are many that will sell you sickly fish.If you don't buy from our excellent sponsors than I would strongly suggest you carefully research the seller before you purchase.

Also keep an eye out for hobbyist sellers in your area. They can be an excellent source for healthy well cared for Discus.

hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

I too can whole heartedly recommend Kenny's Discus... we have 10 that we got in two separate transactions.

when I win the lottery tonight will be getting a bigger tank for the new home we will be moving too (hey I can dream can't I?) and will be ordering more

Real Name
    TONY

Hi Eric! Condolences on your loss. I know it's not easy. But Cheer up friend. This is the start of a brand new adventure. As mentioned above, the sponsors on this site are an excellent source for beautiful, healthy discus. My personal recommendation is Discus Hans (http://discus-hans-usa.com/). I've both ordered online & visited his shop (appointment only) to purchase discus & never been disappointed. Excellent specimens, various strains, sizes & prices. Excellent customer service & follow up. Not sure your location but the various sponsors are all over. Good luck. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

For Discus, any sponsor here will supply you with good healthy fish. I've dealt with Hans, Kenny and not long ago, Chicago Discus and my experiences have been excellent with every one of them. Look at what all the sponsors have on hand and pics the fish from one of them that most tickle your fancy. My last order was from Chicago Discus. A asked for pics of every fish of the strain I was interested in and they sent me pics. I have been to their place. It is impressive to say the least.

For other fish I would check out Aquabid. I have both bought and sold fish there. When buying look at the feedback on the seller. The best sellers have pics of the actual fish they have for sale.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Nothing against Hans or his fish, but he withdrew his SD sponsorship recently. Just sayin...

Real Name
    Frank

I brought ten from Kenny. Love the fish and his service.

Real Name
    Mark

16 from Kenny, in two groups. Currently have 3 breeding pairs. Like everyone has said before, super guy and fish to match. I was fortunate enough to stop and meet him while on vacation in San Francisco. He answered every question I could think of and then some.

Real Name
    Rick May

unless you live in the middle of nowhere, try your local fish clubs. A lot of times you can get much better prices, no shipping, and in the process meet someone to answer questions. Downside, they will likely not have a huge selection of types.

Real Name
    TONY

Nothing against Hans or his fish, but he withdrew his SD sponsorship recently. Just sayin... ]

Daniel, you have a valid point. Can't speak to the internal misgivings between Hans & the Board or Al but I can attest to his product & service being excellent. I get it, "CURRENT" sponsors should get preferential choice & there are indeed some great ones here but Discus Hans 'footprint' of contribution has impacted this forum for years & should not be so easily dismissed because of a pulled sponsorship. Guess I'm kinda partial cause he & Al & several other 'old timers' here helped me thru a bunch of stuff over the years & I tend not to forget a FRIEND. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast