AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Help - 75 g Discus tank filter flow

Registered Member

Default Help - 75 g Discus tank filter flow

Hello!

I just changed my 75 g stocking to Discus tank.

I have 2 filters, sunsun 304b and Emperor 400 on the tank that have been running for over an year handling a much heavier bio load. I use my sunsun as bio filter with 3 trays filled to the brim with media and Emperor more as mechanical filtration with sponge and polishing pads.

These filter combined provide a bit over filtration but worked exceptionally well for my community tank.

Now with my Discus tank, what I feel is the combined outflow from the 2 filters is too much for the discus fishes.
    I usually turn off my filters for feeding the discus as it helps with the food not being blown all over the tank. I noticed that the fishes swim freely when the filters are off and when I turn them back on they kind of settle into the bottom corners and stay there.

Has any one dealt with something like this? Looking for suggestions...

One of the ideas i have is to a) remove the spray bar from the output of sunsun, that should cut down the speed of flow and b) replace emperor with a large sponge filter

Help Please!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Default Re: Help - 75 g Discus tank filter flow

I'm not sure of the GPM on the two filters you have, but from what I've experienced after adding in wave makers to my 125 gallon is that the discus will inevitably come out of the corner and swim around the tank normally. Discus can be shy, especially in a new habitat. How long have they been in your tank and hiding in the corner? I'm wondering if they come out to swim more often when you turn off the filters and feed because it's more of the food is now in the tank rather than it being the flow from the filters is too high. Are they struggling to stay still in the tank as if they are being pushed around or what?

Real Name
    TONY

How bout you redirect the flow of the spray bar rather than removing it. Try pointing it upward or against the back or side. not real familiar w/ that hob. lge sponge should work well once populated. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Registered Member

Discus like current. My 75 had 1 Rena XP3 and magnum350 in opposite corners with a 750gph hydor water pump at one end pushing water across the top length wise. My Discus swam in it like it was still water no problem. They would at times get in the current and play.

Real Name
    Frank

My pre-adult discus, when I first got them, really did not like the current. I think that the tanks they were raised possibly had little current. I have two sponge filters with outflow directed toward the center and my canister outflow turned against the back glass. My discus play in center flow all day long.

Registered Member

Thanks guys! I have had the fishes all between 3 - 4” just over a week so they still skiddish! They come to front to eat and swim around as long as the filters are off. Once I turn the filters on, they just go back and sit in the corner.

I will wait for couple of weeks before messing around with filters.

Real Name
    TONY

No 'one' way is necessarily the 'right' way to go. It's all subjective, trial & error. No two tanks or inhabitants are ever the same. See what works 'best' for your group. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick

Registered Member

Will keep you guys posted )
    How many times a day should discus fish 3-4” in size be fed daily?

Real Name
    TONY

There will be varying opinions on this one. Sub-adults are still growing (just a bit slower). Mind you, how much, how often & what you choose to feed needs to coincide w/ your husbandry. 2/3 times a day is fairly popular. The question will be, do you have the time to stay on top of your water condition?? "T"

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonytheboss1 View Post
    No 'one' way is necessarily the 'right' way to go. It's all subjective, trial & error. No two tanks or inhabitants are ever the same. See what works 'best' for your group. "T"
    100% agree

Registered Member

So far I have been keeping up 70-80% wc every 2 days and feeding frozen blood worms in morning and pellets in evenings to the discus.

With my community tank I had a better knowledge of foods and was feeding a different diet every day - brine shrimp, blood worms, pellets, flakes, algae wafers, veggies etc. With discus am looking for suggestions and ideas.

Real Name
    TONY

Again, there will be varying opinions on this on also. Like w/ my filtration, I tend to go above & beyond. (OCD) lol These are some of my choices from an old post -

: From earlier post :

You'll need a bit more than just that. There are a number of different things you can choose to diversify your discus' diet. Mine is a bit extreme (OCD) but the choices are many. Food varies every couple a days - live blackworms, Hans frozen beef mix, San Fran Bay Frozen Bloodworms, Mysis Shrimp, Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes, Als Austrailian freeze dried blackworms, O.S.I. Spirulina Flakes, NLS Discus Formula pellets & Dainichi Cichlid - Color FX + Vita-Chem once a week. "T"
    Last edited by tonytheboss1; 01-14-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Real Name
    Filip

HI Sam . You got 3 very strong filters(every one of them them maxing about 500 GPH) so you might be out of the line with your flow especially if it's a empty tank without wood , plant , stones and other objects in the tank.
    I would try to minimize the current using all if the spraybars available and stacking or fixing sponge at the outlet of your HOB emperor to disperse it's flow .Spraybars actually help to reduce the flow so do not take them away but add all of them , put them near the surface and point them upwards so they can make a slight fountain effect . That way the flow in the tank will be minimized .
    By doing theese slight adjustments you can maintain your current over filtration without disturbing your discus .
    Last edited by Filip; 01-14-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonytheboss1 View Post
    Again, there will be varying opinions on this on also. Like w/ my filtration, I tend to go above & beyond. (OCD) lol These are some of my choices from an old post -

: From earlier post :

You'll need a bit more than just that. There are a number of different things you can choose to diversify your discus' diet. Mine is a bit extreme (OCD) but the choices are many. Food varies every couple a days - live blackworms, Hans frozen beef mix, San Fran Bay Frozen Bloodworms, Mysis Shrimp, Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes, Als Austrailian freeze dried blackworms, O.S.I. Spirulina Flakes, NLS Discus Formula pellets & Dainichi Cichlid - Color FX + Vita-Chem once a week. "T"
    Thanks, this is very helpful! So far my Discus only are interested in bloodworms - they have rejected flakes, pellets, brine shrimps, beef heart. I have been feeding once a day blood worms and other times other foods which my tetras and cories eat. Few things I am worried about - a) how to get discus to eat variety, b) one of the discus doesnt seem to be eating and c) tetras and cories being fed 2-3 times a day along with discus - is that bad?

Please let me know if I should be starting a separate thread

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    HI Sam . You got 3 very strong filters(every one of them them maxing about 500 GPH) so you might be out of the line with your flow especially if it's a empty tank without wood , plant , stones and other objects in the tank.
    I would try to minimize the current using all if the spraybars available and stacking or fixing sponge at the outlet of your HOB emperor to disperse it's flow .Spraybars actually help to reduce the flow so do not take them away but add all of them , put them near the surface and point them upwards so they can make a slight fountain effect . That way the flow in the tank will be minimized .
    By doing theese slight adjustments you can maintain your current over filtration without disturbing your discus .
    I have 2 filters, emperor and sunsun - i was thinking of replacing the emperor with a large sponge filter. Sunsun flow with spraybar pointing upwards isnt too bad. Can you please help me understand on how to attach a sponge on emperor outlet?