AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: A gift from my LPS

Default A gift from my LPS

Not all pet stores are bad. Mine isn't good with Discus but they do very well with their other fish.

My LPS has always been good to me. They pay me the same that they pay the wholesaler for the Angels I sell them and they pay me in cash. Store credit is a rip off. They always sell me stuff for close to their wholesale price. They helped me out with keeping a bunch of Discus for me once when I was going through a sudden, unexpected crisis.

One Monday a while back around about an hour after they opened I was in the shop. Ken, the husband owner was the only one there. He was busy doing WC. (they do WC and vacuum the colored gravel every Monday.) There was another couple there and they were looking at the rodents. The guy picked up a ferret, held it to his chest and zipped up his jacket. When he saw me watching him he unzipped his jacket, took it out and put it back in it's enclosure. I told Ken and he acted like I was wrong. When Twee, his wife the female owner arrived, I told her and she fell all over herself thanking me.

Today I dropped by to take a look at my fish and the others. I got to talking to Twee about my beautiful planted shrimp tank that I adore and about my plan to one day turn my 125 into a planted Rainbow fish tank. She asked if I wanted some Jungle Vals. You bet I did!!! I can't believe all she gave to me. It's more than I need for my 125. One of her customers was getting rid of his tank and gave them a ton of plants that they will never sell. People here buy fake plants. This is a not very sophisticated market. I fell all over myself trying to thank Twee.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Default Re: A gift from my LPS

Wow, that's crazy you were able to see (and stop) a thief in action. Good karma too with getting the free jungle val! Lucky you!

Real Name
    Patty

That is so cool Liz! I see you got the planted tank bug. I love my planted tank as much as my discus tank. Those Val’s will look great. I also love rainbows especially the dwarf neon with that red around it. What are you getting? Are you going to breed?
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Phil4Discus View Post
    Wow, that's crazy you were able to see (and stop) a thief in action. Good karma too with getting the free jungle val! Lucky you!
    Lucky ferret too. I doubt pet thieves make good pet owners.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Lucky ferret too. I doubt pet thieves make good pet owners.
    Patty
    Thieves make good nothings!!!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Here's where doing a good deed goes both ways. Glad you were able to prevent a ferret theft and congrats on the val Liz. There is something magically about val. When I was younger I imaged wild discus living among the wild jungle val.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I checked them out Google for some reason. On their website along with pics of the store and all the animals they sell they showed a video of a woman who got away with stealing some kind of expensive rodent. She just stuck it in her coat and left the shop. I was astounded that someone would steal from a small mom and pop shop where they don't make money hand over fist. Ever since then I have kept an eye out for them when I'm there.

These are such lovely kind people. They have huge, kind hearts. Most especially, Twee. I never thought that I might be rewarded for keeping an eye out but it doesn't surprise me that it happened. They want 24 large Angels from me Monday.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Pity the man did not try to stuff the ferret down his trowsers!
    Jokes aside, well done for the sake of the ferret and the store owners.
    I understand the yearning for a planted rainbowfish tank. I have a 15 gal "nano" asian tank but would like to upgrade to a 55 if I find some room for it. I would add some rainbowfish (bosemanni and/or praecox) and threadfins to the population I already have (honey gourami, Daisy's ricefish, peacock gudgeons and chili rasboras)
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

I want the larger rainbows like Bosemani and Milliniums.
    Mama Bear