AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help

Registered Member

Default Re: Please help

I am having luck with live instant brine. At least 1/2 scape the bottom of the tank on the sides.. fun to watch. I have been doing 60 to 70% water changes. Once a day as I'm busy with work. Yesterday and day before 90%.. I paid $250 for the 2, 6 inch discus and I asked for these. It's my challenge. I'm down to 10 now. Dont think they would have had any chance if I didn't take them. Tank is now at 32c so about 89f..does anyone think I should try higher? Also have the new larger discus at same temp. I use aged water. At least 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewjo11 View Post
    I am having luck with live instant brine. At least 1/2 scape the bottom of the tank on the sides.. fun to watch. I have been doing 60 to 70% water changes. Once a day as I'm busy with work. Yesterday and day before 90%.. I paid $250 for the 2, 6 inch discus and I asked for these. It's my challenge. I'm down to 10 now. Dont think they would have had any chance if I didn't take them. Tank is now at 32c so about 89f..does anyone think I should try higher? Also have the new larger discus at same temp. I use aged water. At least 24 hours.
    I understand. The problem is though that when you take a breeders runts/stunts and put your time into trying to raise them, it usually doesn't go well. If the fish were good stock for growing out they would have not been the Runts/stunts.. If you do succeed in growing some out and they turn out ok, thats great, but imagine what you could do with the fry that were not runts given the same amount of care you are giving them? Theres a reason why conscientious breeders cull their sick, weakly, and runted /stunted fry rather than pass them on to others. They almost never will grow well, and if they do grow they usually will have deformities, or have bad shape.. I'm not telling you this to make you give up on these fry....just so that you and others reading this know the odds are not good in this situation,

Good luck though, I hope they do turn out well for you. If you can you should start a journal thread on it to document their development.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

You nailed it, Al.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I also agree. I have a couple of proven pair as well. If anything I will gain experience. It's fun for now. It's an experiment. Look like I'll soon be down to 9 or 8. Will try a small increase of 90.5 degrees. Maybe this will help. Worth a shot. I know that one degree made the difference couple times before with my adults..

Some breeder don't cull their fish to make more profit. There's no way out of 400 without any cull/runt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12