ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Soldier Fly Larvae

Registered Member

Default Soldier Fly Larvae

Hi guys. Pretty new here and doing my homework before I get my discus.

I’m wondering if anyone is familiar with black soldier flies and their larvae (BSF/BSFL). Hermetia illucens is the scientific name. We use them in all sizes from tiny maggots to adult flies to feed chameleon’s, dart frogs, tree frogs, birds...basically everything.

I’d never heard of them years ago when I was more heavily keeping and breeding fresh and saltwater fish so idk if they’re well known in aquarium circles but they’re considered a superfood for other animals. Pretty cheap and easy to store in large numbers. I already buy 2000 larvae a month for my chameleons, giving some to the discus seems a no brainer.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Soldier Fly Larvae

I use to feed my discus white worms Joe so providing the soldier fly larvae are not too large I would try it.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I use to feed my discus white worms Joe so providing the soldier fly larvae are not too large I would try it.
    Pat
    They are available in all sizes starting with incredibly tiny ones. My only concern is their outter layer is slightly tougher than say a blue bottle fly maggot. Dart frogs eat the smallest ones though and they’re fairly delicate themselves so I think it’ll be worth trying. When I get around to it I’ll post here with results.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Please do Joe, I may want to try them with my wilds.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

I think they are getting used more and more in the new wave of fish foods (bug bites etc...)
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

My discus have no issue eating live red cherry shrimp so I doubt an insect would cause much more of an issue. Lots of roughage for digestion too. As Paul said they are being used as a base for commercial foods, at least in a ground format. Nothing like seeing fish actively hunt their dinner!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

My discus and angels all love the rather new Bug Bites pellets by Fluval. Available at PetSmart or online, reasonable price too. The first ingredient is Black Soldier Fly Larvae, followed by Salmon.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!