ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filtration

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

Default Re: Filtration

For my 75 gallon, I use a HOB and a canister with modifications. I use the canister as a biological filter and HOB as a mechanical. For the canister my intake is covered with a prefilter sponge and it's located as far up as possible. I've found that poop and left over food is picked up the least there. This prevents the sponge in the canister from getting dirty quickly. For the HOB, I added an extension tube to the intake is all the way at the bottom. This allows much of the poop and detris to be picked up by the HOB. I just use cheap poly and replace it twice a week. I also have a circulation pump that runs for a few minutes twice a day to move poop towards the HOB intake to keep the bottom clean. Pump goes on when no one usually is at home. This works great for me.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Martha Moore

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I'm not a fan of just relying on a canister for a tanks filtration. Power goes out and your biofilter is toast. Clean your cannister and you can set back the bioflter in the tank. The Aquaclear is more forgiving and and is not going to be too much. I'd leave it on it with the cannister. I wouldn't worry too much about too much flow. I run 3 aquacelar 110s on my 125 and sponge filters... I have some 75 gal tanks with 2 aquaclear 110s and 5-6 hydro 5 sponges going. I think you will be okay with both cannister and Aquaclear 110.

hth,
    al
    Clarify running 5-6 hydro 5 sponges or picture and what you run them off of please. I see 2 in 55 gal but I haven't seen anymore than that. Appreciate your patience I'm studying and compiling notes before buying any equipment.

Real Name
    Willie

2 X 2 Hydro V's, double stacked, is all that I run in this 110 gal tank. If you're changing water, expensive filters are really not necessary. All my $$ goes to fish.

Willie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Stanica - You might want to check out the Pondguru on Youtube as well. He did a video on setting up an FX6 properly. Just remember that he sells biohome media. It's good stuff, but expensive. You can use other stuff too.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

I could find a sponge pre- filter for my hob filter so I bought a sponge for aquaclear 70 one end of it I cut a circular hole with kitchen knife down deep in to the course spong and placed it over the intake

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stuart

I use an large ehiem canister and a big sponge filter with a power head in the top of it.
    Stu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12