AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filtration

Registered Member

Default Filtration

Hello. I recently upgraded to a 90 gallon tank. I currently have 8 discus (4 1/2 to 5”) and will be adding two more. I also have four cories. I feed them at least there e times a day. I do a 50% water change daily. On my days off, I change even larger amounts. I vacuum the bottom with every water change. I would rather do a water change every other day, I just can’t seem to help myself. I am using an Aquaclear 110 hang on back and a fluval fx4 canister filter. I also use an airstone. Do you think this is enough filtration/aeration? I have a spare Aquaclear 110 for emergencies, should I also put that on my tank? I read about some canisters creating too much water movement for discus. I don’t see that at all and my discus do not seem bothered. I previously used two Aquaclear 110s on my 65 gallon and they worked great. Thank you!

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Filtration

Just the FX4 should be plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanica View Post
    Hello. I recently upgraded to a 90 gallon tank. I currently have 8 discus (4 1/2 to 5”) and will be adding two more. I also have four cories. I feed them at least there e times a day. I do a 50% water change daily. On my days off, I change even larger amounts. I vacuum the bottom with every water change. I would rather do a water change every other day, I just can’t seem to help myself. I am using an Aquaclear 110 hang on back and a fluval fx4 canister filter. I also use an airstone. Do you think this is enough filtration/aeration? I have a spare Aquaclear 110 for emergencies, should I also put that on my tank? I read about some canisters creating too much water movement for discus. I don’t see that at all and my discus do not seem bothered. I previously used two Aquaclear 110s on my 65 gallon and they worked great. Thank you!
    Do you get alot of power outages? I see you are from the North east?
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Do you get alot of power outages? I see you are from the North east?
    al
    No, not many power outages. I’m going to take a look at my canister tonight. I think the flow is less than when I first set it up - which was right before Christmas. I read that if you don’t have the media in the right order, it could affect the flow. Maybe I have it in their wrong. It’s kind of hard to tell what’s right because it looks like everyone does it differently. The lesser flow is the only reason I considered adding a second Aquaclear. Thank you.

I'm not a fan of just relying on a canister for a tanks filtration. Power goes out and your biofilter is toast. Clean your cannister and you can set back the bioflter in the tank. The Aquaclear is more forgiving and and is not going to be too much. I'd leave it on it with the cannister. I wouldn't worry too much about too much flow. I run 3 aquacelar 110s on my 125 and sponge filters... I have some 75 gal tanks with 2 aquaclear 110s and 5-6 hydro 5 sponges going. I think you will be okay with both cannister and Aquaclear 110.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Filip

I'm all in for having a second ,back up filter in your tank .
    I wouldn't worry about the flow in that 90 gallon tank , but I would definitely worry if I spot that my canister flow is decreased. , because that usually indicates poop saturation in your mechanical filter and that is not good for the overall water quallity . Your filter materials should be regulary cleaned from poop and debris in their mechanical compartment .
    A lot of us here use prefilter sponges on the intakes of filters to prevent poop build up in the filters . You should consider adding one .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I'm all in for having a second ,back up filter in your tank .
    I wouldn't worry about the flow in that 90 gallon tank , but I would definitely worry if I spot that my canister flow is decreased. , because that usually indicates poop saturation in your mechanical filter and that is not good for the overall water quallity . Your filter materials should be regulary cleaned from poop and debris in their mechanical compartment .
    A lot of us here use prefilter sponges on the intakes of filters to prevent poop build up in the filters . You should consider adding one .
    I’m not quite sure what the issue is with my canister. I set it up right before Christmas and cleaned it last week - it should run fine. I also vacuum the bottom daily. With respect to the prefilter, I have one on my Aquaclear hob, but what do you use as a prefilter on a Fluval canister? I can’t find anything for it online. Thank you.

Registered Member

I found a large sponge on aquarium co-op for my fx6 you may try there. Just take off the large intake piece and slide the sponge on the tube.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spdyracer View Post
    I found a large sponge on aquarium co-op for my fx6 you may try there. Just take off the large intake piece and slide the sponge on the tube.
    I will look for that. Thank you!

Real Name
    Mervin

Are the aqua stop valves in the intake and outtake open fully.I put the finer sponges on top and the media in the lower baskets in the FX's.The FX's should still have water good flow even with dirty sponges.It just don't filter at good a compacity with dirty sponges and goes around instead of threw the media which is not good.The AC110's are far better filters and very easy to clean and better for staggering when cleaning.

Real Name
    Filip

For a prefilter you can use a round sponge on your intake or filter floss wrapped around and secured with rubber bands. If you want something more visually appealing you can search for "eheim prefilters" online .
    SUN SUN model 603 is a handy prefilter also , but it's compatible with canisters up to 300 gph flow .

Real Name
    Dave

I use these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as a prefilter for my Fluval 406 and also my AquaClear 110.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    I use these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as a prefilter for my Fluval 406 and also my AquaClear 110.
    I use it with my fx4. Works great.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Are the aqua stop valves in the intake and outtake open fully.I put the finer sponges on top and the media in the lower baskets in the FX's.The FX's should still have water good flow even with dirty sponges.It just don't filter at good a compacity with dirty sponges and goes around instead of threw the media which is not good.The AC110's are far better filters and very easy to clean and better for staggering when cleaning.
    I will have to check the canister valves. I agree - I like the aqua clears too. This is my first canister and it is definitely more difficult to take care of then my hang on back filters. Thank you.

Real Name
    TONY

Gotta say I agree w/ most of the above. Don't worry about too much movement. At that size, they'll be fine & go in & out of the 'flow'. As long as you don't have a whirlpool no worries. My 2 A/C 500's (110's) & 2 Cans's do a excellent job of keeping the water clear, oxygenated & moving.
    I'm sure you probably already have but make sure there are no obstructions in the lines & the media is not extremely compacted together. In this case, less actually equals more …. flow that is. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast