ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New discus already laid eggs and are getting aggressive

Registered Member

Default New discus already laid eggs and are getting aggressive

I have had my discus now for 3 weeks and last night I noticed eggs. There are 3 discus fanning and protecting the eggs and one is pretty beat up on their side. There are 2 other additional discus that are sticking close by the 3 protecting the eggs but get chased off if they get too close. I am worried about the aggression and I read it was good to take out the pair to cut down on that but I don't know which are the pair. The 3 are aggressive toward all other fish that get close but seem to working together to protect the eggs. The tank is 150G planted with 7 discus 4.5 - 5 inch with plenty of driftwood to hide in. I do have an empty 40G tank with sponge filters running that I could transfer them to but I assume I would need to wait until the eggs hatch?

Default Re: New discus already laid eggs and are getting aggressive

Best suggestion is to let them sort it out. If theres a pair they will. Sometimes a female will start laying eggs and the males just hang around and don't really know what to do, it sounds like you have some young fish that are just learning the ropes. A little aggression is ok and may even strengthen a pair bond. Usually the one getting the Lions share of the beating will retreat.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    TONY

Default Re: New discus already laid eggs and are getting aggressive

Agree w/ Al. Your bunch is right at that sub-adult / adult stage. Learning how to be big boys & girls comes w/ some lumps some times. As long as it's not excessive or continuous & there's plenty of room (150g is great) they'll sort it out. Then once the pair is 100% identified & confirmed, you can choose to house them separately in the 40g. This is a first for them & you so sit back, take notes & enjoy. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"