ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Python water changer question

Registered Member

Default Python water changer question

Hey guys! So recently I took the plunge and bought a python water changer since buckets were killing my back. Anyways I used to get the water from my bathroom bathtub. And now I hooked up the python to my kitchen sink since it was closer. Before I did the water change, I checked the water quality of both waters and they were both the same. The only difference I found was that when I was putting water into my tank with the python it started to come out a little cloudy, but disappeared right away. I checked the water and it was fine, this only happened when I turned up the hot water so it became a little warm. I also dosed prime for the whole tank before putting water and after putting water. Overall the discus seem fine, but can anyone tell me If that milky, cloudy, micro bubble look was? And is if fine with the discus or should I stick with filling up buckets form the bath tub? Thanks!

TL;DR:
    When I used my water python to refill the tank the water was looking cloudy, but it disappeared shortly afterwards. Can anyone tell me if my discus will be fine refilling from the python or go back to the original source? The discus seem fine by the way. Thanks!

Default Re: Python water changer question

At my house the kitchen water doesn’t run through the water softener, the bathroom does have soft water. You may want to check that out. Just a thought.

If they seem fine after the change, it's probably not worth worrying about. Just check them for excess slime, bubbles, or flashing the next water change.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Is this a constant thing to happen with the python now or was this the very first time you used it? If it was the first time, it could have just been manufacturer dust if it wasn't rinsed prior, but I would assume you emptied the tank with the python hosing before filling it up, thus rinsing the hosing. So I'm not really sure what it could have been.

Real Name
    Filip

Dissolved gasses in tap water may appear as cloud of micro bubbles during WCs. They are harmfull for fish especially if the WC s are larger than 30-40% .
    You can prevent them using shower head on mist during the WCs or stack a bottle with sponges to serve as a prefilter to the added water. This will outgas the tap water and make your fish more comfortable with the WCs even I they exceed 50% .

Silver Member

i stuff the output tube of the python with filter floss to break up the gases before they enter the tank.

Real Name
    Mervin

You might want to consider aging your water.Mixing hot and cold water from the tap generally creates more cloudiness/micro bubbles,which are not good for fish gills.O2 will bring the water to an equilibrium.Many folks need to age and aerate their water when doing frequent large WC's that discus need.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 01-21-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Kwiege View Post
    At my house the kitchen water doesn’t run through the water softener, the bathroom does have soft water. You may want to check that out. Just a thought.
    I just want to quote this message simply because at my house, we have a water softener that is routed only for a certain part of the house. Might want to check in to that.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Can I piggyback off of this thread? I love how flexible the Python tubing is. What kind of tubing is that? I'd like to purchase the same type of tubing. I ordered another set from Amazon and it was so stiff, it was hard to maneuver for my water changes.