AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: new to site

Registered Member
    Real Name
    TJ

Default new to site

I have a new breeding pair that were bought in a group of 4 as juveniles in a community tank. The first time she laid eggs she was paired up with what I think was another female as the eggs never hatched and all turned white. The second time she hooked up with what I now know is a male and they produced around fifty or so wigglers again in the community tank. Thanks to this site I knew I had to move them. I set up a twenty gallon tank with a sponge filter seeded from another sponge filter I had going in another tank. I waited until the wigglers started swimming around ( just got lucky I was home for this) and sucked them off the leaf they were laid on with a turkey baster and put them in the new tank along with both parents. This worked fine as both parents gathered them all up and kept them or tried to in a corner. fast forward a few days, the male developed pop eye so I put him back in the community tank and that cleared up rather quickly. Now I should say Im new to this and have never had discus nor ever thought I would be dealing with a breeding pair, so I admittedly don't really know what Im doing other than reading stuff from online and guessing what next to do. My feeling was the female was overwhelmed as she wasn't eating and not really keeping all of the wigglers together as some were at the top of the tank and others were at the bottom and in every corner. So I placed the male back in with the female, big mistake! Instead of feeding them off his slime coat as before, he ate all but 10 of them before I realized and could get him out. About two weeks or so into it I was down to one live wiggler so I thought it not worth it and put the female back into the community tank thinking the last one would die off as well. Nope turns out it has a will to live. The breeding pair laid more eggs a week later and this time Im better prepared I think. I took the wigglers as soon as they hatched and parents back to the 20g tank placing the one previous wiggler in a small floating nursery tank so he can't be eaten. Here is where I need help, they have gathered them and placed them on the sponge filter, is this ok? I really don't want to loose these this go round and hopefully the male will stay healthy this time.
    Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Also Im not hatching brine, but using a product called First Bites. Its easy and I still have my one survivor from the last spawn( so I know it works ) but now Im feeding him that plus flakes crushed up and crushed up DiscusGold.AZqkJMe1Q7iCpemKmJZCaQ.jpg
    Last edited by tylerj; 01-19-2019 at 06:41 AM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: new to site

Hi Tyler and welcome to SimplyDiscus. I am not a breeding expert but guessing the wigglers are not finding the parents. The parents are PB and can not turn dark which attracts the wigglers allowing them to feed off the parents. If your light has a moon setting turn that on and see if that helps.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening