AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the more likely cause of the leak?

Real Name
    Steve

Default What's the more likely cause of the leak?

I've been using metal Wenger gorilla-rack type shelves in my den for my 75's and 55's. I use cheap yellow sponges with the green scrubby side for cleaning. At least a couple of my tanks have developed a slow drip leak. As long as I don't fill them to less than a couple inches from the top, they're OK. I've wondered whether the shelf flex might have caused this, or am I rubbing away the silicone sealant with the scrubby? Or other thoughts?

Default Re: What's the more likely cause of the leak?

Steve, you have pics? Regardless, if more than one tank has leaks then:
    1. Are the leaky tanks of the same OEM?
    2. Did you get the leaky tanks from same source (whether new or used, just need to know if from same source)?
    3. How much flex and why using shelves that flex? (Note: I'm not familiar with flex racks)

IMO, scrubbing would not be cause.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks Elliot.
    I'm not sure picks would help. The tanks are from a variety of sources, Marineland, Aqueon, but also one older 75, the thickest glass, glass center-brace. I bought this one 40 years ago (wow, hard to realize).
    The shelves are metal shop racks. The ones you can put together for 6 foot tall, or two three foot shelves. I'm using the split shelves with a tank on the bottom ( a pain for water changes) and at the 3 foot height. They seemed economical at the time. But being just a metal frame, they do flex much more than say a 2x4 shelf.

IMG_5909.jpg

OK, I took a quick pic of one of my shelves. I have three like this.

I don't know why but somehow your situation Peaks my interest because I have not seeing very many tanks ever leak. Even my current one is pretty darn old and banged up.
    1. How many leaking tanks out of total tanks?
    2. With a flash light, can you see any space gap between the very center bottom of tank and metal shelves they sit in?

I'm guessing no on #2 but have to ask. While even wood bends, depending on metal/wood thickness, that's a lot of weight. Flexing may even be invisible to naked eye (miniscule) but if uneven strain is put on tank frame then the aren't made for that. You already know this though - may not even be the problem at all. Just trying to be your second perspective.
    -Elliot

Steve, what's under the tanks? Is the floor level? I really doubt it's the scrubby.

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks again. They definitely flex. 75 on top, 55 below. Any bump gets them going. Something I try to avoid. I'm about to do another rearrange, and thinking of replace the shelves. Maybe that's the next question. What's best?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Steve, what's under the tanks? Is the floor level? I really doubt it's the scrubby.
    It's a concrete slab. Probably designed as a one-car garage on this 60's era cheap ranch home, but could be made into the den/whatever. It looked like it had been a den for a while when we bought it.

Registered Member

I have couple of tanks with the same problem. They are on oak aquarium stands. I always fill the tank about an inch from the top. These tanks are cheaply
    made with not enough silicone at the top.

Cliff

Using something Cliff said, have you reinforced current silicone? Also, can you reinforce stands? Like one way which is to conceal extra strands of metal on inward sides? You'd have to take tanks off though.

How about take one 55 "leaker" and put on slab. Fill to current leak level. If leaking, lower water, patch seal spot, refill after cure time, and observe?
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Mervin

I had those stands and I didn't trust them.Very unsteady,I mounted screw rings to the wall and used metal picture hanging wire to a fix them to the wall so they wouldn't sway so much.The only thing the tanks seem to be setting on is the ends and not any of the front and back,so basically the weight is all on the corners.They made me nervous so I got rid of them.You can push a card between the tank and the stand.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

I had water suck up the plastic brace at the top from inside the tank to drip outside the tank. Your air bubling could push it up.

Real Name
    Steve

I've read that you can't apply new silicone over old, so repairing is a pain. Have to cut off the old stuff before applying the new.

Real Name
    Brian

Steve, have you been successful at resealing your tank? I had one pop last night near the top and I've never done this before. If you have, could you walk us through the process?

Brian

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Brian,
    I haven't emptied it yet. I've just kept the water level low enough to avoid the leak for now. I've got another tank sitting outside that I started the process on, trying to remove the old silicone. It's a pain and with the cold weather I haven't been very motivated to work on it. I have a carport, not a garage or shop, so anything I'm working on is done outdoors.

I believe that there are 2 grades of Gorilla racks. The good one will support anything the lesser quality one will flex under the weight of a large tank. My friend Dottie found that out. She had to add more bracing to her racks. Then she found the super strong ones and has had no problems. Do your racks flex? Put a level on them and find out. If so, you are lucky to have just drippy leaks.

I say it's the racks and you need to buy or build new ones.

If your racks do not flex it could be that you are scrubbing too hard. I've learned to go easy on the silicone.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast