ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy eye or more?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve

Default Cloudy eye or more?

I have 15 discus and I noticed one fish has both eyes cloudy and the head may have darkened also. Is this cloudy eye disease or something else?
    sorry but i cant seem to find where to add pics.
    Last edited by Gtr32au; 01-20-2019 at 07:12 AM. Reason: trying to add pics

Registered Member

Default Re: Cloudy eye or more?

Quote Originally Posted by Gtr32au View Post
    I have 15 discus and I noticed one fish has both eyes cloudy and the head may have darkened also. Is this cloudy eye disease or something else?
    sorry but i cant seem to find where to add pics.
    is the fish still eating is he still active or just hanging by himself. the first thing id do is do large daily water changes for a while to see if that helps first. i had a fish recently that had cloud eye that wasn't eating and treated with metro for a week and everything went back to normal good luck

Real Name
    Tobi

Hi Steve,

could you kindly fill out the disease questionnaire from this link and update your post. This will help determine where the problem might be.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

JUST NOTICED THE ISSUE. BOTH EYES ARE CLOUDY.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills,*white/yellow/green poop, hiding,*headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus,*blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

FISH IS EATTING, FACE LOOKS A LITTLE DARKER THEN NORMAL.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

NO TREATMENT. DID 30% WATER CHANGE AND WILL DO ANOTHER 30% TODAY.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

TANK IS 5 X 2 X 2. 15 DISCUS. 8 MONTHS OLD.
    2 X EHEIEM PRO 4 600 FILTERS.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

30% WEEKLY AND ONE FILTER CLEANED.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

BARE BOTTOM WITH VERY LARGE DRIFT WOOD.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

NO.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____29

- ph _____*AROUND 5

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____0

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____100%

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

NO

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

TWICE A DAY. HOME MIXTURE OF BEEF HEART, FISH, KALE, AZOO VITAMINS, PEAS, SPINACH, TERRA BITS.

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

How do you add photos?

Real Name
    Steve

In the posting window's icon strip along the top, the third from the right is for pics. It brings up a window you can use to "choose file" from your computer, then select upload. It needs to be 2 MB or less.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve

Registered Member

I had an angelfish with a cloudy eye that I treated with Neosporin First Aid Antibiotic. I rubbed it on his eye once a day for 4 days and the eye cleared up. I know angels are a lot cheaper so my risk was much smaller than yours will be. Good luck.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

Hi,
    For how long have you had this fish in this tank?
    I don't know much about discus illnesses but what I can tell you is that if the tank is cycled, you should have some nitrates in your water. It looks like you've had the fish for at least 9 months so I would think that the tank is cycled.
    This leads me to think that your water parameters may not be what you think they are.

Let's see what the others think about it

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by thomaswal View Post
    Hi,
    For how long have you had this fish in this tank?
    I don't know much about discus illnesses but what I can tell you is that if the tank is cycled, you should have some nitrates in your water. It looks like you've had the fish for at least 9 months so I would think that the tank is cycled.
    This leads me to think that your water parameters may not be what you think they are.

Let's see what the others think about it
    All fish and tank and equipment has been running since April 2018. With 30% + water changes weekly and using matrix as the filter media, I have never seen my nitrates go up.

Real Name
    Tobi

Hi Steve,

a few things stand out to me: PH, Nitrates and Filter cleaning schedule.

The ph is very low. Is this how it comes out of the tap? Seems unusual to have municipal water this acidic.

The low ph makes it difficult for nitrifying bacteria to establish, as they thrive better in more alkaline water than yours. Cleaning each filter every other week on top of that probably doesn’t give the bacteria that do eventually establish a chance to propagate sufficiently.

Usually when people keep discus at that low a ph on purpose, rather than relying on only filters for the reason mentioned above, they either change a lot of water religiously, or use certain resins to keep the water “clean”.

Which kind of test kit are you using for your parameters? Might be worth rechecking.

As for treating the sick fish, I’m afraid I personally can’t help, looks bacterial to me, poop looks like possible parasite, but would rely on members who are more experienced with disease questions.

They will chime in shortly I’m sure
    Last edited by Swedgin; 01-21-2019 at 07:57 AM.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Swedgin View Post
    Hi Steve,

a few things stand out to me: PH, Nitrates and Filter cleaning schedule.

The ph is very low. Is this how it comes out of the tap? Seems unusual to have municipal water this acidic.

The low ph makes it difficult for nitrifying bacteria to establish, as they thrive better in more alkaline water than yours. Cleaning each filter every other week on top of that probably doesn’t give the bacteria that do eventually establish a chance to propagate sufficiently.

Usually when people keep discus at that low a ph on purpose, rather than relying on only filters for the reason mentioned above, they either change a lot of water religiously, or use certain resins to keep the water “clean”.

Which kind of test kit are you using for your parameters? Might be worth rechecking.

As for treating the sick fish, I’m afraid I personally can’t help, looks bacterial to me, but would rely on members who are more experienced with disease questions.

They will chime in shortly I’m sure
    Hi the tap water is 7.2 to 7.4. I need to put a little on up mid week to ensure the ph doesn't go below 5.1.

The test kit I'm using is api. I think the water should be good as they seem happy and keep laying eggs, but I'm not to sure if this is a good indication.

I try my best not to use any chemicals. I do 30% water changes weekly and use prime. I normally clean one filter also (mainly just the sponge). I run 1litter of purigen and also have a twinstar yotta plus.

I struggle to keep the ph up.

Real Name
    Filip

I would try and measure the pH after aging water for 24 hours with an airstone . That way you can see if your low pH of 5 is a result of nitrification process and high bioload.
    You should measure your KH too. and find a way to raise and keeep it stable to at least 4 Dgh using crushed coral , baking soda or KH buffers.

Eye diseases are usually symthoms of sub par water quallity .Try increasing your WC regime to 2-3 times per week and dont touch the biomedia trays during maintenance , but just the first layer of mechanical filter materials .

As for this discus , I would transfer it to a 10 gallon bare QT tank and try to help it recover with daily large aged water WCs and application of some antibiotic (Furan , kanamycin etc.)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve

Apology all, I have given you the wrong water parameters. Where i stated ph 5 it should have been 6.

Correct parameters as just measured are as below pic. PH6.4, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5.0

Im gonna buy a hospital tank today. The medicines I currently have are in photo 2, would any of these help? 20190122_083120_resized.jpg

20190122_084337_resized.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I would try and measure the pH after aging water for 24 hours with an airstone . That way you can see if your low pH of 5 is a result of nitrification process and high bioload.
    You should measure your KH too. and find a way to raise and keeep it stable to at least 4 Dgh using crushed coral , baking soda or KH buffers.

Eye diseases are usually symthoms of sub par water quallity .Try increasing your WC regime to 2-3 times per week and dont touch the biomedia trays during maintenance , but just the first layer of mechanical filter materials .

As for this discus , I would transfer it to a 10 gallon bare QT tank and try to help it recover with daily large aged water WCs and application of some antibiotic (Furan , kanamycin etc.)
    Thanks Filip.

I tried purchasing the antibiotics you mentioned but they can't be sold in Australia without a prescription.

I bought a 75litter aqua one 510 tank and moved the sick fish into it and added some aquari-cycline. The color of the fish has returned to normal but the eyes are still cloudy.
    Last edited by Gtr32au; 01-22-2019 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast