AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Aggression or courtship?

Registered Member

Default Aggression or courtship?

Hi guys I got 6 discus in a tank where 2 of the juveniles are always at each other. Usually just one of them turquoise that goes after the yellow one and he keeps shaking his tail on his face and both of them do that and sometimes they give some pecks at each other and some lip locking. Both are healthy growing juveniles around 9cm.

They are not hurt their fins/body are perfect. Just wondering if this is agression or love lol?

He doesn't do that to others, if he pecks them he will just pecks and not shake his tail.
    Last edited by Raphael.dalmeida; 01-21-2019 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Autocorrector from phone

Real Name
    Tobi

Default Re: Agression or courtship?

When mine do it it’s usually them trying to establish dominance of a very specific spot in the tank, i.e. one corner or a single root etc.

But of course it could be courtship in your case.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    TONY

Default Re: Agression or courtship?

Most likely dominance or pecking order is being established. It often looks worse than it really is. As long as there is enough room & it's not incessant not to worry. They will sort it out in time. Now if per chance you notice actual damage being done, blow your whistle & send them to neutral corners lol lol!! "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"