AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Lunar Eclipse

Real Name
    Matt

Default Lunar Eclipse

I know I'm pretty much a stranger around here these days, but figured I'd drop by and say hi while showing you the Lunar Eclipse photo I grabbed last night. Just a quick shot, haven't really cleaned it up to much yet. I took some shots originally as it was starting but they were not focused at all, I really struggle with manual focus for some reason, so I went back out and re-shot in the few minutes I had left. Glad we got a clear sky for it. Clouds started moving in as it was fading.

1DxII and 100-400 II with a 1.4 extender. Wish I could of had some hardscape in there as well, but so late at night the moon was already almost straight up in the sky. Will have to use it as an addition to a landscape later in post. I actually had to tape my lens at 400mm, being straight up the lens couldn't hold the weight at 400 and kept telescoping back to 100. Need a locking ring or something. Big lenses like this need a lens or barrel lock built in.

-Matt

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Lunar Eclipse

Hi Matt,
    Good to see you! Beautiful shot. Ya, some additional backdrop would be nice, but oh well.
    Steve

Registered Member

Great picture. Blood red moon over Maui too yesterday.

Cliff

Real Name
    Patty

Wow, very cool! Thanks for sharing it.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Very cool Matt, I also stayed up late photographing the moon. It was beautiful but my photos are so noisy. Care to share your camera settings and/or technique?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

Looks great Matt! TFS

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks all. Pat seems like meta data didn't get transferred fully or something. Looks like it was around 800 ISO, f/8, and a .8 second exposure.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ralph

Always a pleasure seeing Matt and Ricardo active on the forum. Camera settings I cannot comment on and don't understand that language but just looking at this photo in amassment on how a detailed subject can be photographed over 200.000+ miles away.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    I know I'm pretty much a stranger around here these days, but figured I'd drop by and say hi while showing you the Lunar Eclipse photo I grabbed last night. Just a quick shot, haven't really cleaned it up to much yet. I took some shots originally as it was starting but they were not focused at all, I really struggle with manual focus for some reason, so I went back out and re-shot in the few minutes I had left. Glad we got a clear sky for it. Clouds started moving in as it was fading.

1DxII and 100-400 II with a 1.4 extender. Wish I could of had some hardscape in there as well, but so late at night the moon was already almost straight up in the sky. Will have to use it as an addition to a landscape later in post. I actually had to tape my lens at 400mm, being straight up the lens couldn't hold the weight at 400 and kept telescoping back to 100. Need a locking ring or something. Big lenses like this need a lens or barrel lock built in.

Beautiful shot Matt, I couldn't get a good one, too much cloud cover here...and it was too darn cold to sit out there waiting.

al

ps..You are never a stranger here Matt, though it would be great if saw more of you. I'm thinking theres got to be a ton of pics you haven't posted that you have taken the last year.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Nice Matt.
    Do you still have your tropheus ilangi group?

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Always a pleasure seeing Matt and Ricardo active on the forum. Camera settings I cannot comment on and don't understand that language but just looking at this photo in amassment on how a detailed subject can be photographed over 200.000+ miles away.

...Ralph
    Pretty amazing right Ralph?? It blows me away every time.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Beautiful shot Matt, I couldn't get a good one, too much cloud cover here...and it was too darn cold to sit out there waiting.

al

ps..You are never a stranger here Matt, though it would be great if saw more of you. I'm thinking theres got to be a ton of pics you haven't posted that you have taken the last year.
    Thanks Al! It’s nice seeing familiar names. The clouds started rolling in right at the end for us, we cut it close. I didn’t take to much the past year to be honest. I basically took a break from just about everything. Slowly picking some things back up. I’ll see what I have, might have a few.

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Nice Matt.
    Do you still have your tropheus ilangi group?
    Sadly I do not. I am completly empty of fish and water right now, full on dry. I’m sure I’ll jump back in at some point, but not yet.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kirby

Nice job Matt!