ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Wrigglers in the 150 gallon

Default Wrigglers in the 150 gallon

I haven't been super active on the forums lately, but, was hoping to get some input.

In my main discus tank (150 gallon) I have 13 discus, 10 of which are females who are constantly laying. I hooked up a UV Sterilizer a few weeks ago due to some algae issues, and I've noticed breeding activity increase ten fold since installing it. I generally do 100% WC every other day (sometimes once every 3 days due to time constraints), so usually the eggs just get scrubbed off and sucked down the drain. However, I was out of town for the weekend, and upon coming home yesterday, I have a pair in the middle of the tank guarding a batch of wrigglers.

I'm not super interested in breeding at this point in time, however, this is the first time I've had a fertile pair (the male is a red stripe Alenquer, and the female is a Forest Giant Blue). With that being said, I kind of want to see what happens. If I leave them for a bit and they end up attaching to the parents, could I net the fry and the parents up and put them in a 20 gallon and see how it goes? or would the stress of moving end up getting the fry eaten or be detrimental to their development?

Also, about how many days does it take to go from wriggler to free-swimming stage?

Cheers!
    Mike

Real Name
    Mark

Default Re: Wrigglers in the 150 gallon

I’ve had several batches of wrigglers in my display, and I like you have lots of hungry mouths hanging around. So if they do make it to free swimming they will probably get eaten. I moved my pair to a 40 breeder and just this afternoon saw a new batch of eggs. There are a couple of really good timelines here with pictures to give you an idea of what happens when.

I've had more than one batch make it in my display... to the point of being too big for hungry mouths.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Mark

Was it in a planted tank? So far with just driftwood in mine they get eaten.

Heavily planted, Driftwood Galore, but the other key was two extremely protective parents. I had three pairs over time that were strong enough parents to raise a few dozen little ones.
    -Elliot