AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I saved a chicken's life today.

Registered Member

Default Re: I saved a chicken's life today.

Where I live ,North Granby,Ct. I let my chickens free range . But lately I'm changing my thinking. We have fox,hawks, weasels
    and coyotes and I lose a lot. They have a huge run and I'm going to keep them in that but damn that open field, woods
    ect. looks good to them and I give in. I need some counseling.
    Jay

I've been considering electric netting from Premier Supplies. I have the charger. The netting is movable. It would be a good solution, but the netting is too expensive for me ATM.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Liz I have considered the PM netting but I'm just not sure how effective it is.
    You would need some kind of netting over the top for the haws and I see that as a real pita
    In trying to move it.
    They are a first class Co. and I talked to a rep. and he said they swore by it.
    Maybe this spring,right Now we have about a foot of snow on the ground and some more to come.
    Jay

I kept goats confined with it. If it will keep goats in it will keep critters out. You're right about the hawks, though. Covering it would be a real pain.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Mine are actually Light Brahmas. I looked up the Colombian Wyndottes and they look identical. The only difference I can see is that the Brahmas have feathers on their legs.
    Oh, I didn’t notice the leg feathers. Nice looking breed. I had no idea they existed.

Real Name
    Amy

I hear ya Jay, I’m frequently tempted to let them out. They rush to the door of the run every time I put the feed in and I do feel bad about cooping them up. Better mad than dead I suppose.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by AquaWoman View Post
    I hear ya Jay, I’m frequently tempted to let them out. They rush to the door of the run every time I put the feed in and I do feel bad about cooping them up. Better mad than dead I suppose.
    You know Amy you are probably right."better mad then dead" They do have a big run,24 by24 but the problem is it goes from a grassy field to dirt in about 3 weeks. When I open the door they all try to rush out and I have to keep shoving them in while trying to get
    the door closed. Sometimes I say the hell with it and just let them go.
    Looking into buying the electric fence so I can move it around in the field or woods,Ect but I still have to solve the problem of the hawks.
    Jay

I'm afraid that I picked up Sweetie and brought her inside. I simply couldn't do otherwise. Every time I see her she's running from the roosters. I have to think of a better idea. I don't want a hen living in the house unless I can train to use a litter box. That is doubful.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'm afraid that I picked up Sweetie and brought her inside. I simply couldn't do otherwise. Every time I see her she's running from the roosters. I have to think of a better idea. I don't want a hen living in the house unless I can train to use a litter box. That is doubful.
    How about those little quilted “saddles” I’ve seen people use? They protect the Hen from the worst of the Rooster’s advances and maybe he would find her less appealing?

Real Name
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    You know Amy you are probably right."better mad then dead" They do have a big run,24 by24 but the problem is it goes from a grassy field to dirt in about 3 weeks. When I open the door they all try to rush out and I have to keep shoving them in while trying to get
    the door closed. Sometimes I say the hell with it and just let them go.
    Looking into buying the electric fence so I can move it around in the field or woods,Ect but I still have to solve the problem of the hawks.
    Jay
    I had to chuckle with your description of trying to get through the door. This is me every time. It’s comical how I can contort myself while carrying water/ feed buckets while trying to keep Hens from escaping. Soon enough, I too will just say “Go!”
    Once that fresh Spring grass starts poking through the snow there will be no stopping them I’m sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaWoman View Post
    How about those little quilted “saddles” I’ve seen people use? They protect the Hen from the worst of the Rooster’s advances and maybe he would find her less appealing?
    I'd thought of that. I believe I'll buy some. Surely a chicken saddle can't be very costly.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

I used chicken wire galvinzed after welding for sides & top. turkey wire is the best but costs.

Will you just look at this fat thing! Sweetie has decided to live in the fish room. That's fine with me since it's a contrete floor and she has good poop which is easy to pick up. I gave her a bath earlier today. She's so white and fluffy now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

White and fluffy as newly fallen snow! Now I just have to ask, how do you bathe a chicken? Dawn detergent in the sink? If not for you, she would have been a chicken dinner for somebody a few weeks ago...
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

I'm all set up for dog grooming at the house. I put her in my raised tub and used my bathing system to spray warm soapy water on her. In the places where she had scabby skin I rubbed Head & Shoulders shampoo on. It helps to loosen it so it washes down the drain. After the rinse I sprayed on diluted conditioner, then wrapped her in a towel to get as much water as I could off her. After that, I put her in a cage under a cage dryer until she was dry in most places. To finisher her, I put her on the grooming table and used my big stand dryer to dry the places that were still damp and a soft pin brush to separate the feathers at their base.

Back then she wouldn't have made much of a dinner since she was so skinny. She'd make a lovely meal now.
    Mama Bear

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast