ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: I saved a chicken's life today.

Registered Member

Default Re: I saved a chicken's life today.

Should you decide to kill the chicken you could regret it later. Maybe a longer thought process would be in order?

So I did not do it. But now I have to. She sits in one place all the time. Her right leg is so bad that she can move around only enough to get out of her own poo.

I decided a week ago that I had to do it. I haven't gotten my guts up enough to do it. I have read up on the entire process of killing and processing for meat. Nobody will help me through it so I'm afraid I'll have to go it alone.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

Good luck Liz. It does sound like she’s in pain and you’d be doing her a favor. I just wish someone could do the deed for you....
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Frank

Its time.

I have not killed her and eaten her. I was ready a while back but I am no longer ready. She seemed to me to be a bit better. I cut down on her food and she has lost weight. I take her out every day, sometimes twice a day to eat grass and small weeds. She stands more often and takes a step or two sometimes. She enjoys being outside but I need to sit close to her. Otherwise the other hens would terrorize her.

I guess I will do the dead when she deteriorates to the point where she no longer enjoys life. That is what I would want for myself. I'm sure this chicken is no different.
    Mama Bear

Sweetie continues to get slightly better day by day (touch wood). She is still lame and is her left ankle and foot is still swollen, but when I take her outside she walks around a lot more than she did. She also comes to me when I call her, and talks to me in chicken language.

If you think I am crazy, you are correct.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

I love it! When I saw your post I was expecting bad news, but she just keeps surprising us. I’m glad she’s improving and has found a trusted friend she can confide in.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Nope, not crazy. Just a good pet Mom to all your creatures. Not a thing wrong with that. Just don't eat her when her life is over. That would be crazy.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Glad to hear Sweetie is getting better Liz Way to go
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Late this morning and early in the afternoon the existing hens were over in the old barn where they couldn't see the house. I took Sweetie outside and worked pulling briers and cutting privet hedge out of my day lily/daffodil garden. Sweetie actually walked around! When she was ready to go inside she limped all the way to the front entry door!

I know that it hurts her to walk. That leg and foot are still swollen, but I think that the exercise and being out of doors is good for her. Heck, I'm all broken and hurt all the time and it's good for me. Why should be Sweetie be different.
    Mama Bear

Thanks for your good wishes Patty, Barb, and Pat. Barb, when the time comes I still plan to eat her. You believe that it would be wrong for me to eat her, I believe that it would be wrong for me not to.
    Mama Bear

This should make all of you happy. I took Sweetie outside with me when I mowed yesterday and today. Yesterday I mowed where I could keep an eye on her. Today, I mowed up the fence line on both sides. When I got back to where she was 2 hrs later she was with a bunch of my existing hens. I wouldn't call them friends, but they were tolerating each other. Later, I went inside to cook. As I was deep frying I heard a voice outside that sounded like hers. She was siting by the front door. I told her to come in and went back to frying. When I looked around she was in the house. When I was done, I didn't see her. She had found her way back home (the fish room).

I have decided that her bad leg must have been due to an injury. It must have happened back when I put her alone in the back yard and a rooster found his way in. I think that she broke what in a human would be the ankle. Since a chicken foot is made mostly of connective tissue the injury wasn't as devastating as it would be in a human. She still has a knot on her ankle, and will probably always have a bit of a limp but she doesn't care and I don't care.

This hen is one tough cookie. A survivor for sure.
    Mama Bear

I wouldn't have believed it except I saw it with my own eyes. Sweetie was acting a little strange yesterday. She didn't want to go out. Even when I nudged her out the back door she came back in as soon as my back was turned. But I didn't think anything of this strange behavior. Last night when I went down before bed to turn off the lights in the fish room and what did I see? Sweetie had laid an egg!!!! It didn't have a shell. It was just a pretty orange yoke. I guess I'd better start feeding her laying pellets instead of chick starter and make oyster shell available to her. A laying hen needs the calcium.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Sweetie never ceases to amaze...incredible transformation that a little love can do...good one Liz

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Wow, a yolk with no shell, never heard of this before. Good for her,she must be so proud of that "egg". Let us know when she lays an egg with a shell.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast