ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I saved a chicken's life today.

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: I saved a chicken's life today.

I’m still waiting to hear how you acquired Sweetie.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

I forgot (blush) was driving to Ellisville for something. I was within city limits when I saw this hen in the middle of the highway. People slowed down for her, but I stopped. I walked across the road and tried to catch her. I had no luck. I needed help. Right then an old man was going down the sidewalk pushing a wheel barrow full of small engines came buy. I asked him if he would help me catch this chicken and he did. T

The hen was walking down the ally between a long closed nursery and the beer store. The gentleman trapped her using his cap and I grabbed her by the legs. (When you hold a chicken upside down it doesn't struggle.) I put her on the front seat floor and she never moved until I got her home and introduced her to the chicken house.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Glad you two found each other Liz and love her name.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I forgot (blush) was driving to Ellisville for something. I was within city limits when I saw this hen in the middle of the highway. People slowed down for her, but I stopped. I walked across the road and tried to catch her. I had no luck. I needed help. Right then an old man was going down the sidewalk pushing a wheel barrow full of small engines came buy. I asked him if he would help me catch this chicken and he did. T

The hen was walking down the ally between a long closed nursery and the beer store. The gentleman trapped her using his cap and I grabbed her by the legs. (When you hold a chicken upside down it doesn't struggle.) I put her on the front seat floor and she never moved until I got her home and introduced her to the chicken house.
    She is one lucky bird! Will her beak grow back eventually? I know this is probably a “city girl” question, but I wonder.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

It never grew back on the 4 I rescued
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Real Name
    Patty

Aw that’s a shame, but it would make her only more endearing to me.
    Patty

It doesn't hurt. It's like clipping your fingernails. The shame is that they pack them in so close that it's necessary.

Sweetie's fecal was negative, thank goodness. The hen house needs cleaning anyway but there is no way to sterilize the wood floor.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    It doesn't hurt. It's like clipping your fingernails. The shame is that they pack them in so close that it's necessary.

Sweetie's fecal was negative, thank goodness. The hen house needs cleaning anyway but there is no way to sterilize the wood floor.

Liz theres a product we used in the labs, called Clidox, chlorine Dioxide. It comes in 2 parts, and is active for a short time when mixed.

http://www.tamuc.edu/research/compli...f%20Clidox.pdf

I used it once in my coops for a thorough cleaning after pressure washing.

Being a chlorine compound its deactivated quickly by organics, but its so effective I think on your wood floor it would still work. It did on mine. Its been shown to de-activate avian influenza viruses in 5 mins of contact. Its definitely not a natural product, lol but its effective and doesn't hang around.

http://file.scirp.org/Html/1-8202397_36061.htm

probably way more info than you wanted lol.. but you never when you will need it! There are other Chlorine Dioxide products out there, but Clidox is the most well known, I even used it years ago to clean my fishroom after a bad crash.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I hope that I never have to use that info, Al, but it's good to know that there's something that will work should I ever need it.
    Mama Bear

Sweetie is becoming a member of the flock. This is not as easy for a commercially raised hen as one might think. "Pecking order" is a real thing. The existing hens are mean to a newbie...especially one who doesn't even know how to be a real chicken in with world wise free range hens. So, until yesterday Sweetie tried to stay hidden. She would walk around the chicken house on uncertain legs when the rest of the flock went to forage outside during the day.

Yesterday I decided to try to change this behavior. She was stuck in a rut of fear and uncertainty. After the rest of the flock went out to play and it had warmed up nicely I picked Sweetie up and set her outside in the grass. She pecked around and ate some nice green stuff which she had never seen before. She was having a good time!

But one cannot spend ones life keeping an eye on a chicken. I lost track of her. When it was time to put the flock to bed she was nowhere to be seen. I left the door to the chicken house half open in hopes that she would return. She did not. I looked everywhere. I even tried to find her in the wee hours. No cigar. Finally I spied her this morning around 10 AM. By then I was quite sure that I had lost her to a critter. She was under a bush with one of my kinder hens and the lowest rooster in the male pecking order. I was so relieved.

Today from time to time, Sweetie would be foraging with my existing chickens although she would always show respect for the hens who didn't care for her. She took advantage of a bunch of alone time. She needed to. I checked on her around 5 this evening. She was in a rarely used livestock shed dusting with the others. What brought joy to my heart is when I went to tuck the flock in for the night and Sweetie had followed her almost friends all the way from that shed to their house and jumped inside! It's kind of a free for all when I lock up the chickens because I have 3 roosters when I should have 1 and 1 of the 3 is a big bully. I thought she would run away from the ruckus, but she was right there with them.

What a brave and resilient hen. Sweetie is a survivor for sure. She wants to learn how to be a real chicken and she's learning well. I'm proud of her.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

That’s a great heartwarming story Liz. I love the way you can see her from her point of view and help her become a chicken. You taught this city girl a few things too.
    I didn’t know chickens dusted. I hate dusting, so definitely want a chicken now. Ha ha
    Patty

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

That is super Liz, it is always concerning when an animal does not know how to relate with it's own kind. Glad she is fitting in so nicely. I know my lab Belle has to teach Gypsy (my American terrier) how to be a dog. Gypsy thought she was a cat lol.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Great story Liz, you have such a good way of telling a story. Sometime can you post a pic of Sweetie? The others too of course.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Great story. Liz, does sweetie get up on the perches at night with the others, or stay on the floor?

I saw her try to hop on the perch last night but she fell off. I don't think that she knew to wrap her toes around it. She'll learn.

Barb, I'll snap some pics when I can.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast