ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I saved a chicken's life today.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: I saved a chicken's life today.

Well, no wonder she looks so good! You may end up being a chicken groomer besides a dog groomer huh? Just wait until fellow pet chicken keepers find out about your skill.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Default Re: I saved a chicken's life today.

Harrumph! They said her fecal was negative but I kept wondering why she would sometimes have terrible poo. Since she lives in the fish room cleaning up terrible poo is not fun. Then the other day I saw a round worm in one of her terrible poos. Yesterday when I went to the feed store I got her some food medicated with piprazine. She no longer has terrible poo. What a blessing. I'll have to worm her again in 2 weeks and then in 2 weeks after that.

I noticed when I bathed her that she had a bunch of places on her where the feathers were broken off close to the skin and her skin was scabby. I got some permithrin dust and put that on her the same day. Today she is not constantly picking at her feathers.

Sweetie loves living in the fish room. It's a beautiful spring day today. There is a door to a fenced area outside. I figured she'd enjoy pecking at grass and weeds but I was wrong. She sat down in a corner and stayed there. I finally gave up and opened the door. She walked right in. I don't imagine that I will ever turn her into a normal chicken, but if she's happy that's all that matters, right? She likes looking at the fish on the bottom racks. Sometimes she will peck at the glass trying to catch a baby Angelfish. When the light is low she can see her reflection in the glass. She's curious about her reflection. I need to put a mirror down there for her.
    Mama Bear

Sounds like you're raising "Kobe" chicken!

I'm afraid I don't know what that means, Adam. The only Kobe I know of is Kobe Bryant.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

I think he's referring to the Japanese beef.

OH NO! Sweetie will not be a meal. She's a pet. It would be like eating one of my dogs!
    Mama Bear

What Steve said, a special breed of Japanese cow that receive alcohol, massages, and music (classical, of course) as part of the rearing.

Was kidding about the eating part, just the royal treatment Sweetie's getting.

Got it! Yea, I know she spoiled rotten. She has no idea that she's being treated like a queen. When I have my cup of coffee with a shot of brandy this evening I'll try offering her some. I don't think she'll like it but you never know unless you try. I'm afraid she's stuck with public radio. It's what I listen to. It would be nice if NPR would make her smarter.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Got it! Yea, I know she spoiled rotten. She has no idea that she's being treated like a queen. When I have my cup of coffee with a shot of brandy this evening I'll try offering her some. I don't think she'll like it but you never know unless you try. I'm afraid she's stuck with public radio. It's what I listen to. It would be nice if NPR would make her smarter.
    Call me dumb but I’d be hanging out in the fish room too.
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Today I got a piece of bad news about Sweetie's future. I told her story to the folks at my chicken forum. I have decided that I will have to kill her and eat her. It's the right thing to do. I'm going to need someone by me to offer advice and emotional support, but I have to learn how to do this. I have 2 roosters too many and I need to do them in and have only Mr. Big with the girls.

If anyone is curious about why I have to do what I'm going to do, this is the thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/thr...e-hen.1294570/
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

I read the whole chicken forum thread. I see your dilemma. However, in my opinion as your friend. you should give her to your neighbor to kill and eat, or whatever he wants to do. Do not kill and eat your own pet chicken who you have treated as a pet. I feel strongly about this. You do not need the stress of doing this deed to your pet. Or have your neighbor do her in and bury her.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

Oh LIZ I'm sorry to hear that you so excited when you saved the chicken , What a twist I didn't expect this been a good read!! your still the Hero Liz,

Real Name
    Patty

I agree with Barb. I’m afraid it would break your heart to kill her and eat her yourself Liz. I think you’d feel better if you just let her live her short but happy life in peace. Good luck with your decision Liz.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

I would like to hear more opinions, please.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Liz, I agree with Barb and Patty but I also respect your decision however you choose to go.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast