ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: I saved a chicken's life today.

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: I saved a chicken's life today.

Liz,
    Just seeing your heart the few months I have been on the forum, I agree with Barb and Patty. I think in the long term you will be glad you went this direction. The roosters you might not have the emotional attachment.
    Frank

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

I agree with Barb. You can learn slaughtering with other birds, why have it on yours hands with a pet.

Liz, I have slaughtered my hens before.. its not hard to do but in sweeties case why do it? You made her a pet and were happy with her as such . She isnt suffering now is she?

You saved her life and gave her a home... she is a meat bird to be sure and that breed is a heavy bird. Her life maybe short but if she isn't suffering and she makes you happy, Why give that up at this point because of what may happen.

Before you decide, I would suggest you re-read this thread. That bird has made a mark on you as only a pet can. I say treat it as a pet. If theres issues down the road.. deal with them then.

hth,
    Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-04-2019 at 10:47 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

I totally agree with Al. Let her live out her natural life and both of you will be happy.
    BTW, the advice they gave you on the chicken forum to cut back on her feed is a
    good one. Good luck.
    Jay

I re-read this entire 6 pages of this thread. I still think that I need to kill her. I am glad that I saved her and have given her a couple of months of happiness, but I don't love her and all she likes about me is the fact that I make food and water available to her. I have newspaper all over the fish room floor and pick up chicken $hit constantly. She is not a good pet. I put her in the back yard today because it's finally a nice day. She's just sitting in a corner. She's more trouble than she's worth. She was bred to be a meat chicken and that's what she is.

I don't think that my neighbor wants to help me with this job, but I have read all about it on the chicken forum and I can do it in a humane way. She won't be frightened or suffer like she would in a processing plant. Once she is dead I will be fine. I know because I used to slaughter and eat my baby male goats. I quit doing it because the killing part was so hard on me. This will be less violent. I can do it with a scalpel rather than a gun.

I'm not going to do it right away. And who knows, when the time comes I might not have the guts. But the way commercial chickens are bred, raised and slaughtered for meat these days is cruel to the animal from birth to death. It should be against the law but it's not because it makes chicken so cheap for us to buy.

I could rant on, but that's enough. It sounds like nobody wants to hear about how it goes when I do the deed.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

I think all the support from everyone was for you anyway Liz. It seemed as you was getting attached to the chicken and it was thought that it would be hard on you to loose the chicken. So I support you in this if I lived close by I would come help you processing of the meat but being in North Carolina just little to far of a drive

OK, OK. I have changed my mind again. Sorry...

After I talked to you I put her outside in a small fenced yard. Mostly she sat in one place. But a couple of times I saw her walking around eating green stuff. I couldn't find her when went to let her in for the night. This morning she was right by the door of the fish room. I weighed out 3 oz of feed and put it and her waterer outside for her. (3 oz of feed is about 3/4 of a cup. When she was eating free choice in the fish room she was eating more than twice that.) Just now, I opened the door to the fish room and she walked in.

She will spend most of her time outside. Despite what I said earlier, I am somewhat fond of her. As long as she and I can find living arrangements that suit both of us I will take care of her until she starts having problems.
    Mama Bear

Im glad for both you and Sweetie Liz. I had thought when you posted the chicken stroganoff recipe you were foreshadowing.
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Good decision Liz, good for you and Sweetie. Not many people can say they have a pet meat chicken and now you can.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Im glad for both you and Sweetie Liz. I had thought when you posted the chicken stroganoff recipe you were foreshadowing.
    Al
    I did too. my thought was she cooked!!!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    OK, OK. I have changed my mind again. Sorry...

After I talked to you I put her outside in a small fenced yard. Mostly she sat in one place. But a couple of times I saw her walking around eating green stuff. I couldn't find her when went to let her in for the night. This morning she was right by the door of the fish room. I weighed out 3 oz of feed and put it and her waterer outside for her. (3 oz of feed is about 3/4 of a cup. When she was eating free choice in the fish room she was eating more than twice that.) Just now, I opened the door to the fish room and she walked in.

She will spend most of her time outside. Despite what I said earlier, I am somewhat fond of her. As long as she and I can find living arrangements that suit both of us I will take care of her until she starts having problems.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Well, wouldn't you know...now that I've softened my heart to the chicken she isn't doing well. This started yesterday. She is eating almost nothing. I haven't seen her taking a drink. She's lame on her right leg. I should have done her in when I had made my heart hard.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Well Liz, your brain and heart together will let you know what to do now. Since she was intended to live a short fast life, perhaps she is in old age now and ready to go. Call me later if you want.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Steve

I just watched part of a show about grooming chickens for show. OMG. Shampoos, moisturizers, anti-friz. More than I've ever done to my hair!

I know. I read up on it myself because I enjoy competing, but I'm not up for all that.

Sweetie is eating today. She prefers not to walk but she can when she has to. I'm pretty much allowing her to sit in one spot for most of the day.
    Mama Bear

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast