ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New to discus

Default New to discus

Hello, I have kept tropical fish for over 30 years but am new to discus. I joined this forum as I have read SO much conflicting info I decided to go to the experts which I think are any of you reading this 😀! Here is my question: I have a tank 36”x18” x 12” which I believe to be about 35 gallons. It is a mature tank that I am transforming into a discus tank. My plan is for few cardinal Tetras, corydora for clean up crew and discus. How may (if any) discus can I keep in this tank? I am already clear on water changes, temp and all testing, just confused on quantity of discus. I would appreciate any advice at all based on your experience.

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: New to discus

Welcome to the discus community! You will find a lot of help here at the forum.

If you are willing to do the WC, then I would suggest 4. However, if I could go a little beyond I think you would have a more pleasant experience getting 6 4-5 inch discus and go with at least a 75 gallon tank. Discus do better in groups of 6+. I read that here at the forum and also got the same confirmation from the breeder I got my discus.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberley Steenson View Post
    Hello, I have kept tropical fish for over 30 years but am new to discus. I joined this forum as I have read SO much conflicting info I decided to go to the experts which I think are any of you reading this ��! Here is my question: I have a tank 36”x18” x 12” which I believe to be about 35 gallons. It is a mature tank that I am transforming into a discus tank. My plan is for few cardinal Tetras, corydora for clean up crew and discus. How may (if any) discus can I keep in this tank? I am already clear on water changes, temp and all testing, just confused on quantity of discus. I would appreciate any advice at all based on your experience.

Welcome to the SD community, Kimberley

Regrettably, the size of your tank is inadequate to keep the generally accepted compatible number of discus - i.e. 5-6 fish or more, particularly when keeping other fish as tank-mates - as in your case.
    The smallest recommended tank for keeping discus on their own is 55-60 gallons - larger if you also want to make it a community tank with other fish.
    So, as Frank suggested, a 75 gal tank would be the ideal to be successful keeping discus.

Why don't you take a little time to review the Stickies in the "Discus Basics for Beginner" section - that way you'll get some good, essential start-up knowledge under your belt, and be fully able to get into discus-keeping with the confidence that you will succeed keeping them healthy and thriving.
    Best of luck to you.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

I've kept 4 3" discus in a slightly larger tank than that. But I had hardly anything else in the tank. Once they got to be 4 to 5 inches, it was obvious that the tank was too small. If they get spooked, there's not enough room and they bang around the tank. If a fight breaks out, there's not enough room for the weak one to escape.

I now have a 75 gallon. This gives room for them to comfortably swim around and spread out if aggression breaks out.

Right now you can pickup a 75 on sale. You can get one with stand, glass cover and led light for $300 at PetSmart. If you don't need the extras, Petco is having their 50% off sale on a 75 gallon tank only. Why spend $300 to $500 on discus and put them in a tiny 35 gallon tank?

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi and welcome, I think you are being sensible by doing your research first, unfortunately there are too many examples of people who have done the opposite and, maybe because encouraged by unscrupulous or ill-informed fish-shopkeepers, gone ahead and acquired discus to be put in an unsuitable tank with disappounting results.
    Beyond the limitation in volume of your current tank there is the chance that your scape/substrate/decor may be unsuitable for discus and the previous occupants may have left behind potential pathogens.
    The advice of starting with a larger tank and ideally left as bare as possible and starting from a clean slate may seem a bit extreme but it is the best way to maximise results and minimize problems that otherwise take all the fun out of keeping discus. I have to admit that the meticulous approach to fishkeeping I learnt on this forum has upped my game also for my other "non-discus" tanks.
    Anyway keep us posted
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Real Name
    TONY

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome! This forum is a great source of information. Some of it will be fact & some will be opinion. Most of it will benefit you in the long run. Curious as to whether you intend to start w/ adults or juvies. Tank is undersized for 4 or 5 adults. 55/65g would be more suitable. If tankmates are preferred, 75/90g. If you are starting w/ juvies (2 or 3 in.) you'll be ok for a min. till the 4 or 5 grow out w/ just them & multiple W/C's. Be prepared to move them to 55g or better in the not to distant future. Have fun, "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Registered Member

I am at opposite of the norm. Thirty gallon bare tank, two outside filters, five discus 4 inch to 5 inch to start with, water change 30 percent once per week. I am willing to accept this because I bred wild discus before the modern hybrid were available. At the time 20 gallon tanks with peat moss in the filters and home made beef heart only. So I am willing to push the limits with this.

I watch for a pair then move the pair from 30 to 20 bare tank. Food is dry plus frozen shrimp, beef heart, and the fish seem to like the freeze dry black worms but the expense of it make them a treat food.

With regard to water changes. Here is something to ponder. Take a look at the water conditions that wilds live in. Muddy and full of crap. Although the water is fresh. I do not understand the need for frequent and complete daily water changes. Find what works best for you in that regard.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by FishFanMan View Post
    I've kept 4 3" discus in a slightly larger tank than that. But I had hardly anything else in the tank. Once they got to be 4 to 5 inches, it was obvious that the tank was too small. If they get spooked, there's not enough room and they bang around the tank. If a fight breaks out, there's not enough room for the weak one to escape.

I now have a 75 gallon. This gives room for them to comfortably swim around and spread out if aggression breaks out.

Right now you can pickup a 75 on sale. You can get one with stand, glass cover and led light for $300 at PetSmart. If you don't need the extras, Petco is having their 50% off sale on a 75 gallon tank only. Why spend $300 to $500 on discus and put them in a tiny 35 gallon tank?
    Koji makes a excellent point about the minimal area for fighting and spooking that the 30g affords. Also the prices at PetSmart for any size tank are unbeatable.

Registered Member

Welcome!