AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Proven Pair new Male.

Registered Member

Default Proven Pair new Male.

I purchased a proven pair and they had Wiggler's but after a few fails they stopped! I decided to add the female to my community tank with another female? ....I kept the proven Male in the tank and added a discus 2 year female in the tank with him. She was laying eggs like crazy in my community tank with my smaller 4 incher believe to be female. Now after 1 month she is now trying to lay eggs with the old proven Male. Is funny as she is struggling to lay her eggs and the Male is trying to stop her! He is saying HELL No! Lol... Anyone think they will ever be a pair? Leave them alone or add the older female back and hope her absence make her heart founder. Any advice

Default Re: Proven Pair new Male.

The new combination of old male and new female will probably work out in time. The original pair that was proven with wigglers I would not have separated.Its not uncommon for inexperienced pairs to practice and fail a bit... take a break and start up again. Often they then get it right. Some pairs are naturals and some will drive you nuts. Most males that are sexually mature and experienced will spawn with a laying female they are placed with though that doesn't mean they will bond right away.I have had some pairs initially spawn and then fight over the eggs as if they were total strangers. The key with breeding is patience and lots of it!
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

The proven orginal pair was great almost two months always laying eggs add getting Wiggler's then eating them. The original owner said that he had many batches of 300 or more! I thought they may have been out of there spawning cycle so I did the switch. Also thought if I brought them back together they may rekindle..lol.... What would you do? They new felmale is a beautiful King Floria. Always the bully in the group I'm enjoying the fact that now he is being bullied a bit. Goal here to to experience fry

My gut instinct would be to put the proven pair back together or better yet put them all back in your main tank and see who pairs up... then move the pair. If the proven female is taking a break she wont re-pair with the male. If the old male doesnt want to spawn with the new female...another male if present will.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Thanks will try this 👍