ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank rack ideas

Real Name
    Steve

Default Tank rack ideas

I'd like to replace the metal shop racks I've been using for my tanks with something less flexible. I thinking I may end up building my own wooden racks. Not ideal, but I'm currently stacking the tanks, one a bit off the floor, and another above, on each shelf. I need to continue that to make use of my space.
    So, looking for suggestions on tank rack options, or encouragement, or whatever.

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: Tank rack ideas

Steve, why are wood racks not ideal? Instead of finding something that your specific sized tanks can fit on...building your own out of 2x4 gives you the option to make it any size you want.

I have a bunch of these I want to use in the future for racks that I would just bolt together. I got them for free as I would never pay that price. https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

...Ralph
    Last edited by Altum Nut; 01-28-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Kevin

If you do decide to build your own out of 2 x 4's, just be sure that all the downward force is directly on the vertical supports and not on screws or nails. I'm currently building a new racking system for my breeding tanks and I should be done this weekend. I'll post some pics when it's complete.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Steve, why are wood racks not ideal? Instead of finding something that your specific sized tanks can fit on...building your own out of 2x4 gives you the option to make it any size you want.

I have a bunch of these I want to use in the future for racks that I would just bolt together. I got them for free as I would never pay that price. https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

...Ralph
    Hi Ralph. What I meant was that having tanks as close to the floor as i currently have is not ideal because it's hard to siphon drain them. Wood is fine, and I will try to make them as attractive as possible, mostly for the wife. The change will actually give me the opportunity to raise the lower rack higher off the floor.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by fishbubbles View Post
    If you do decide to build your own out of 2 x 4's, just be sure that all the downward force is directly on the vertical supports and not on screws or nails. I'm currently building a new racking system for my breeding tanks and I should be done this weekend. I'll post some pics when it's complete.
    Thanks Kevin. Yes, I'm aware of this idea. I went back and looked at a few of the fish room threads and see most folks do this.

Real Name
    Steve

If you can make sense of this pic, would this design work for each corner? The tank shelves are sitting on the vertical 2x4s, but they are cut between the shelves. The outside 2x4s hold the inside steady, plus side braces. Stable enough?

IMG_5918.jpg

I might add vertical fascia over the front 2x4 ends. Which makes me wonder if something thinner than a 2x4 (1x4?) could be used for the outside vertical brace. I'm also guessing that might not be as available, or more expensive?

I'll need a horizontal support under the shelf front and back, too.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 01-29-2019 at 01:10 AM.

Real Name
    Kevin

I used 2 2x4's in each corner and then cut a notch out of them 3 1/2'' tall by 1 1/2 deep so that my 2x4's would rest inside of them. You could do the same by using a 4 x 4 post but they are more prone to warping once they fully dry.

Real Name
    Brian

Here are some photo's of mine for ideas. Very cheap and easy to make...

fishrooms 001.jpg

fishrooms 002.jpg

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by fishbubbles View Post
    I used 2 2x4's in each corner and then cut a notch out of them 3 1/2'' tall by 1 1/2 deep so that my 2x4's would rest inside of them. You could do the same by using a 4 x 4 post but they are more prone to warping once they fully dry.
    Thanks Kevin. Good idea. I think I could do that by turning my supports 90 degrees. And I'm using 2x3's for my shelf support, so a smaller notch.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post

fishrooms 001.jpg

fishrooms 002.jpg
    Thanks Brian. Your racks bring up the vertical support question. Many folks say the shelf or tank weight should be supported directly by a vertical piece, not on the shear strength of screws, which is what you have. I also went back and looked at Han's design, and I think it's similar in that respect. So, can I put a shelf with a 75 gal (600+ lb) on a rack like that? Much easier to build.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 02-07-2019 at 12:42 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

fishrooms 001.jpg

fishrooms 002.jpg
    I like the diagonal pieces on the sides.

Real Name
    Brian

Actually, there are supports that are blind screwed from the back side. They've been up and running for 15 years...

The side supports eliminated front to back movement on the quad rack but I've put them on all racks now...

On a side note, I once built a 12 foot extension on a covered garage. I used one deck screw to temporarily secure it and square things up, then a storm blew a large tree over during the night with the full force and weight landing directly on the extension. That one screw held thousands of pounds of decking and tree, not to mention the initial impact. You's be surprised how strong deck screws are, lol... (although I do not suggest trying this at home )

support.jpg
    Last edited by jeep; 02-07-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

Actually, there are supports that are blind screwed from the back side. They've been up and running for 15 years...

The side supports eliminated front to back movement on the quad rack but I've put them on all racks now...

On a side note, I once built a 12 foot extension on a covered garage. I used one deck screw to temporarily secure it and square things up, then a storm blew a large tree over during the night with the full force and weight landing directly on the extension. That one screw held thousands of pounds of decking and tree, not to mention the initial impact. You's be surprised how strong deck screws are, lol... (although I do not suggest trying this at home )

support.jpg
    Yes I see those blocks screwed in from the inside, but that means the tank weight is still sitting on their screws. That's what I meant when I referred to Hans also. He has long rows of racks with the shelves sitting on blocks screwed to the outside posts. Here's a couple quick links to his pics.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attach...1&d=1200888208

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attach...1&d=1201413433

But that does actually double the number of screws!
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 02-07-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Real Name
    Willie

Not sure if you can see this very well since I paint my stands black, but these are built so that the tanks are supported by the stud. No weight rests on the screws. The first stand holds 30B/40B/40B. The second one holds 110/75.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Steve, my local fish store has all wooden racks that I noticed last time I was in. They notched out a slot in the vertical boards in order to fit the horizontal 2x4’s. Ie, a 1.5x3.5 in slot was cut into the vertical post and then the horizontal board could be placed in the slot. This puts the vertical weight through the board without having to use multiple vertical posts. Probably need a jigsaw and some patience to get all the notches correctly done but it seemed like a clever way to get it done.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by modealings View Post
    Steve, my local fish store has all wooden racks that I noticed last time I was in. They notched out a slot in the vertical boards in order to fit the horizontal 2x4’s. Ie, a 1.5x3.5 in slot was cut into the vertical post and then the horizontal board could be placed in the slot. This puts the vertical weight through the board without having to use multiple vertical posts. Probably need a jigsaw and some patience to get all the notches correctly done but it seemed like a clever way to get it done.
    Thanks Eric. This kind of idea is helping me consider a less bulky design. I'm at the point I need to try something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast