AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Water Changes and Aging Barrel Related Questions

Registered Member

Default Water Changes and Aging Barrel Related Questions

OK so I'm gearing up to get my first set of Discus after years of wishing and preparing. I just had a few questions regarding setting up an aging barrel for water changes, as well as maintaining one long term. Here are some of my questions:

- Does anyone have any suggestions for flexible tubing for my return pump? I have the Rio Plus 1700 which needs a 3/4" ID tube, but both sets of tubing I purchased from Amazon were so stiff it was hard to work with. I was looking for something as flexible as the Python tubing. It's an odd place to be stuck at.
    - Are there any issues with mold? Assuming I do 50% WCs twice a week, will the water stay in there long enough to worry about any sort of mold?
    - What do you guys do with your dirty aquarium water when you pull it out of the tank? Do all of you use Python's? I don't really want to use the Python to pull dirty water because it seems like a waste of water. I bought another Brute trash can to pull dirty aquarium water into, but now I have a super heavy trash can in my living room full of water. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Real Name
    Jeff

Default Re: Water Changes and Aging Barrel Related Questions

I purchase my tubing at Lowes its a little stiffer then the python tubing but flexible enough to work. I syphon the water out with a garden hose and put it right on the garden during the summer, in the winter it just goes down the bath tub drain. If you are on city water that is treated with chlorine then it will keep the aging barrel fairly clean and you can add the dechlorinator directly to the tank. Once a month or so I would suggest emptying it and wiping it down anyway.

I pump my water with MJ1200 similar bc I do t like python venturi either because of waste. During summers I water garden or yard. Winter it goes down the drain. I save some milk for my wife's house plants.
    Eric

Real Name
    Brian

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRA...C-Tubing-4HM02

HD and Lowes sells this as well, depending on how much you need...

Registered Member

I also got the lowes tubing and thought it was way too still. So I use the python and purchased a 25' extension tube for it. I love that tubing. Very flexible. I run it from the tank to the sink to drain, and the use it with a sump to pump water back into the tank from my aging barrel. A pro tip I learned on this site is to get hose quick connects from Lowes. Makes changing the connections a snap, literally. haha.

I hear the waste of water, but not sure what to do about it. It is a lot of water.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ed

not sure I understand about the waste of water once the siphon starts just turn the water off and and siphon continues on it's own,I use the python to empty and remove venturi and attach to pump from aging barrel...

Registered Member

ah right, I might have misunderstood the OP's original concern. Yes, once the water gets to the sink/tub, turn it off. The siphon will continue on its own.