ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate Mice!

Default I hate Mice!

We had an Ice storm last week and lost power. Its not really a problem as I have several generators here, but the one I use most in an old Inverter Generator. Its as ugly as they come, but its always been reliable. It takes care of our display 125 gal and the is LCD and electricon safe since it makes pure Sine wave electricity. Usually its a one pull wonder. Starts right up. Not this time.. Nothing. , then snap goes the pull cord! It was all frayed. I hauled out the old clunky bigger generator as back up and set my invert genny to the side until I could replace the cord. Today I had a few hours and started work.

I haven't gotten very far, They really make these suitcase invert generators a pain to work on.... But after taking off way more bolts than it needed, Learned why I had such a hard time.. Apparantly I had some squatters living in my genny the last 3 months since I used it last.

This was an airfilter. I have never seen them chew things up that much.... the entire filter is gone.
    2019-01-31 11.26.29.jpg
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-31-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: I hate Mice!

No Clue yet what else they got into , but I am guessing I am going to fine alot of chewed and corroded electroniics..
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Brian

A few years ago during the install of my new central air unit, I needed to retrieve a window AC unit from my shed. I brought it inside and set it on the living room floor, plugged it in and turned it on to test it. I heard knocking sound coming from the squirrel cage, and all the sudden a mouse comes flying through the vent, followed by 6 or 7 little pink babies. YUG!! She had chewed a hole in the vent to get in, then pulled grass and other stuff inside for insulation...

Sorry no photo's, I was too busy freaking out, lol... My girlfriend was freaking out as well when I grabbed my bb gun thinking I could actually shoot them

LMAO!!!

Well these little monsters cost me a generator. Theres no way I can repair it. They chewed thru the fuel lines, wires, you name it. They ate every piece of foam they could reach and the corrosion from their waste is just nasty. I took it outside to blow it out and the crude is junked on it...God only knows what germs are just sitting there. Look up Hanta Virus sometime. Its not like I really pressure wash i either.

. Add to that the engineer that designed these suitcase generator was a royal idiot. You literally have to take everything apart, remove gas tank, disconnect all wires... Remove everything to even access the housing for the pull cord.

Its trashed. Bummer too. I bought used on CL for a steal of $50 several ago, fixed it up and have used it alot since then.

Ah well.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Al, up here it's a way of life. My lawn tractor, kitchen cabinets, ect. Wait until they get into your cars heating system.
    Last winter my wife turned the heater on in her car and heard a funny noise.
    A couple of days later there was an awful smell in the car especially when the heat was turned on.
    I knew what it was. Chopped up mice caused by the fan.
    We took it to our mechanic and he took the whole heater system out under the dash.
    He told us it was mouse hotel[former]. 250$ later the smell was gone.
    What I do now is put sticky traps under the cars, tractors ,in the cabinets and the basement.
    IT's a war.
    Jay

Registered Member

So here's my mouse (actually rat) story...a few years ago after my Dad passed away, I went over to my parent's house to start his Chevelle that had been sitting in the garage. I got it started and fairly quickly noticed a rotten burning smell. Couldn't figure it out until I got the car on the lift and noticed some fur sticking out through a hole in one of the mufflers. Little ******* crawled into the muffler through the tailpipe and took up residence there. Well, I got the last laugh...he got gassed out and died. Wait, maybe the rat got the last laugh...I had to replace the muffler.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BigBlock View Post
    So here's my mouse (actually rat) story...a few years ago after my Dad passed away, I went over to my parent's house to start his Chevelle that had been sitting in the garage. I got it started and fairly quickly noticed a rotten burning smell. Couldn't figure it out until I got the car on the lift and noticed some fur sticking out through a hole in one of the mufflers. Little ******* crawled into the muffler through the tailpipe and took up residence there. Well, I got the last laugh...he got gassed out and died. Wait, maybe the rat got the last laugh...I had to replace the muffler.
    ewwwwww! nothing like the smell of burning rodent!

Still have the Chevelle?

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Hi Al,

Yup, still got it...an original '68 SS 396, four speed. My Dad bought it out of the service when he finished his tour is Vietnam.

Joie

Registered Member

Hi Al,

Yup, still got it...an original '68 SS 396, four speed. My Dad bought it out of the service when he finished his tour is Vietnam.

Joie
    That car is priceless, I had a 66 GTO and a 70 Challenger back then.

Cliff

My Friend in High school had a red Chevelle that I always envied. I had a Mustang fastback which was cool. His was

way more cool. I am glad to hear that you still have that Car Joie, Its a real treasure.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    That car is priceless, I had a 66 GTO and a 70 Challenger back then.

Cliff
    Hi Cliff,

Those are some cool cars too!

Joie

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    My Friend in High school had a red Chevelle that I always envied. I had a Mustang fastback which was cool. His was

way more cool. I am glad to hear that you still have that Car Joie, Its a real treasure.

al
    Hi Al,

It'll stay in the family as long as I'm around!

Joie

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

My brother-in-law has a 1968 GTO. He has had it since high school. He and my sister resently sold their house and here it is going to a friends house for temporary storage.

IMG_1798.jpg
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Pat, I see so much potential there! It's like a blank canvas waiting to be painted!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Pat, I see so much potential there! It's like a blank canvas waiting to be painted!
    Exactly Joie and believe Tim intents to restore it to it's original condition. He has matched all the numbers on the engine etc and the numbers are close to each other (that means it adds value to the car). So if he can restore using it's original parts it should be a little gold mine. At least that is my understand on how antique cars work.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast