ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the age old question ...are sponge filters enough? who here uses sponge filters only?

Registered Member

Default the age old question ...are sponge filters enough? who here uses sponge filters only?

are sponge filters enough? .....assuming there would be enough sponge surface area to accomodate the stock and bio load of a tank

thanks

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: the age old question ...are sponge filters enough? who here uses sponge filters o

My sponge filters are enough for my bare bottom tanks. Depending on the number and age of the fish, I change water at least a couple times a week.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: the age old question ...are sponge filters enough? who here uses sponge filters o

I only have sponge filters, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

I too have a bare bottom tank and I’m constantly cleaning it and doing water changes so I think sponge filters are enough for me, my only concern is water clarity.... can the same water clarity be achieved with sponge filters? As with hobs?

sponges are enough.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

In the old days I used to get all the fancy new high tech filters, thinking they must be best due to their high cost, fancy designs, etc. But I got smarter and now use only sponges in all my tanks. Easy and cheap and my tank water and fish are great!

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Frank

I started with a canister but then moved to sponges. I still use the canister but I consider it secondary. The only thing in it besides sponges is sipromax, a polishing sponge (sometimes), and just recently a sheet of poly filter (sometimes). I might gradually take it out of service one day. In short, sponges are fine and simple.

In some parts of the world, sponges are too much. A couple large water changes a day is all do for filtration.

Real Name
    Filip

Sponges are sufficient for BB breeding and raising tanks where you do all the filtration work by your self , with daily WCs and siphoning .
    They certainly won't suffice a big display tank with sand , decoe and plants where you do weekly maintenance .

Registered Member

Got it .... yes I am a minimalist. I love my bb tank. I do wc every day. I enjoy doing it. Thanks and Filip. Thank you all!

Registered Member

Some of my tanks has no filters just an airline and some will have either an box filter or one sponge.

Cliff

Breeding tanks = sponge + air stone
    Grow out and community tanks = sponge + canister + airstone.

Real Name
    Jeff

Always only sponges. HOBs and canisters have too many little nooks for waste to hang out and really foul the water. Too much work to keep them clean and no need when just a sponge does the trick.

Registered Member

hardcore discus and fish keepers seem to use strictly sponges

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

We use about 4 foam filters in every one of our 75 grow out tanks. We change 100% water every 24 hours, so basically filters remove fine detritus and we vacuum up the rest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast