AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Help Please - Sick Discus

Registered Member

Default Help Please - Sick Discus

I bought 7 Discus fishes all between 3-4" a month back - I noticed that one of the discus about 3.5" wasnt eating and hanging at the back. About a week back i noticed white stringy poop and fish looked slightly darker with fins camped close to the body.

I set up a hospital 10g tank and starting dosing metro following Kenny's recipe - "Metro is best administered at 92F +/- so initially raise the tank temp to be around that range, and dose 500mg per 10g every 12 hours with 50% daily WC for a total of 5-7 days. Upon finishing the Metro treatment keep the tank temp elevated at around 90F for another week just to maintain their metabolic rate higher for a little longer."

I am on Day 7 now - first couple of days my 10g tank was at 90F and then once I got the right heater it has been at 94F since day 3.
    Water parameters on both tanks are good - Main tank (established year +) - 75g, 85F, 0 ppm ammonia & nitrites & <10 ppm nitrates; Hospital tank 10g, 94F, sponge filter from main tank moved into it - 0 ppm ammonia, nitrite & nitrate

Now at Day 7 - fish color seems to be better, it doesnt have a corner to hide in the 10g but still not eating - I have been adding 3-4 blood worms everyday - couple of days back the fish started nibbling - it sucks in the bloodworm and then spits it out - after 3-4 hrs the worms are gone with just their outer skin left as if the fish sucked the wormy part. What has me still worried is that a) Fish is still pooping white stringy stuff and b) it hasnt started eating

Requesting folks to help me with suggestions on next course of action - should i continue with Metro treatment? / Add other medication along with Metro or change the meds ? Other than not eating and the white feces I dont see any obvious problem with the fish! Please help guys...

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Help Please - Sick Discus

Is your Metro pure or mixed with other substances?

Registered Member

Pure metro

Keep up treatment for 3 more days (10 days total). Keep the heat up, too.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thanks Liz