ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PH Drop

Real Name
    Frank

Default PH Drop

This has probably been asked before but most of the older posts that I have seen dealt with high PH rather than low. My discus are fine, eating well but I noticed some discomfort/stress in doing >40% WC. Anything lower than that, they don't indicate any visible stress. I don't age mainly because I don't have room where my tank is located. It's in my Study, which is basically a converted bedroom. I knew my PH was low in the tank but today I got a Sera PH test which has a broader range for testing. Here are my parameters.

Out of the tap:
    PH 7.0
    KH 3
    GH 3
    NO2 0
    NO3 <10

Tank
    PH 4.5
    KH 3
    GH 3
    NO2 0
    NO3 >10 but slightly

I would like to keep the PH higher (around 5.5-6? min). I thought maybe some direction here would help. Barebottom tank, canister filter, two sponge filters. I cannot think of anything that's lowering it. I do have a lot of surface agitation but it has not bother the discus.

Frank

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: PH Drop

Hi Frank,
    How long after adding the new water did you measure it and get that reading? How often are you changing, how many fish, tank size, etc? I've read here a few times about folks whose local tap water is acidic enough that the local water company adds something like hydrogen peroxide to raise the pH to prevent corrosion in the system. It reacts and neutralizes eventually, lowering the pH again. You should be able to get info on that from your water company. Just a possibility.

Real Name
    Mervin

How big is the tank?Your water doesn't have a kh high enough to maintain stable ph.The large WC might not be because of the ph swing from low to neutral,rather it might be dissolved gases and little oxygen in the tap water.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

It is impossible to have a KH of 3 and a pH of 4.5 at the same time. (Unless you are also injecting a ton of CO2). You really should re-check those test results. The pH is suspect.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    It is impossible to have a KH of 3 and a pH of 4.5 at the same time. (Unless you are also injecting a ton of CO2). You really should re-check those test results. The pH is suspect.
    Dan is the expert!

Real Name
    Frank

That's what I thought. However, I have used API, Seachem, and Sera test kits and they are all consistent. The API and Seachem does not go down to 4.5.
    I have no plants and no CO2. If I change about 30% of the water, the Seachem registers just under 5.2.

I have been managing this (without knowing the numbers) for about 6 months. This might have been the reason for when I moved to VA. I had discus when I was in OH, having pretty good success even though I did not know what I was doing. No breeding. When I moved I tried to maintain a 6.5'ish PH and it kept crushing. Ultimately I got frustrated and got rid of all my tanks and fish. Then a 10-12 year sabbatical. This time I am more knowledgable (Thanks Al and this forum!) and have not had any crashes (because I did not mess with it).

However, I at least want to know what's happening.

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    How big is the tank?Your water doesn't have a kh high enough to maintain stable ph.The large WC might not be because of the ph swing from low to neutral,rather it might be dissolved gases and little oxygen in the tap water.
    I have a 75 gallon.

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Hi Frank,
    How long after adding the new water did you measure it and get that reading? How often are you changing, how many fish, tank size, etc? I've read here a few times about folks whose local tap water is acidic enough that the local water company adds something like hydrogen peroxide to raise the pH to prevent corrosion in the system. It reacts and neutralizes eventually, lowering the pH again. You should be able to get info on that from your water company. Just a possibility.
    I tested the water before my last WC. I typically do a WC averaging at least 5x per week.
    75 gallon, 10 discus, 1 bristle nose, and 4 cories. Yes, I know I am overstocked.
    I have been surprised upon learning the PH that the bristle nose and Cories are still going strong.

If it is hydrogen peroxide, how do I proceed beside aging?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Well I'm at a loss to explain what you are seeing Frank. To get water down to pH 4.5 you would have to add enough acid to burn through all the buffer until the KH is 0, and then you would have to add even more acid. I use 100% RO with KH=0 and I have to add 3 ml of muriatic acid to get 50 gallons of water that low. A biofilter could do all of that if it had enough time, but the KH would have to be 0 first.

It sounds like the discus are doing well except for something about the water that is causing a problem with large WCs. It might be that ageing is the only way to allow for larger WCs. I have these water barrels in my little fishoffice, its so crowded in here you can hardly get the door open, but I wouldn't be able to function without ageing the water.

At that stocking level you need a lot of water changes, and 5x a week is pretty good although you might need more than 30%, or maybe some crushed coral in the filter to replenish the buffer.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Dan is the expert!
    Not an expert, I'm still learning. If I could learn stuff faster than I forget other stuff I'd be getting somewhere.

Real Name
    Frank

Well I'm at a loss to explain what you are seeing Frank. To get water down to pH 4.5 you would have to add enough acid to burn through all the buffer until the KH is 0, and then you would have to add even more acid. I use 100% RO with KH=0 and I have to add 3 ml of muriatic acid to get 50 gallons of water that low. A biofilter could do all of that if it had enough time, but the KH would have to be 0 first.

It sounds like the discus are doing well except for something about the water that is causing a problem with large WCs. It might be that ageing is the only way to allow for larger WCs. I have these water barrels in my little fishoffice, its so crowded in here you can hardly get the door open, but I wouldn't be able to function without ageing the water.

At that stocking level you need a lot of water changes, and 5x a week is pretty good although you might need more than 30%, or maybe some crushed coral in the filter to replenish the buffer.
    Thanks for the input Dan. If I raise KH will the PH rise? I am concerned about the crushed coral because I don’t want the PH to bounce around but I do think the discus would do even better at a 5.5-6 PH at least. I just wish I knew the reason.

Real Name
    Frank

How do you do the crushed coral? Where do you get some and how much?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

The dilemma is that if you want a stable pH you need buffer in the water, and buffer raises the pH. In a crowded tank like yours its probably better to not care about the higher pH and find a method of buffering the water that works for you. You have fairly soft water and IMO softness is more important than whatever pH it winds up at.

Its been years since I used a dissolving buffer like crushed coral. Most of the time I control the pH with water changes or some tap water rather than adding something, but you could start with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup in a high-flow area like the filter. The trick is to find the right amount. Too much and the KH climbs, not enough and the KH falls. You can do this without measuring the pH. Since your tap water is KH 3 shoot for the amount of coral that keeps the KH around 2 or 3. I think you can get it at Petsmart.

The higher the stocking level the less room for error, which means good size water changes and some buffering. I have not had problems with low pH unless it gets low enough to stall the biofilter, but in your situation a stalled filter could be serious, so I think you are better off with some buffer and a steady pH, even if it goes above 7.

Real Name
    Frank

An update. I added 1/4 tsp of baking soda to the tank this morning. Retook PH and KH after 2-3 hours.

PH 6.4
    KH 4-5 (in between colors)

Without any experience in this, that seems pretty water sensitive to me. In doing a water change, would I adjust the soda for the water replacement only?

Now I will do a WC.
    Last edited by fljones3; 02-01-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Does your water have phosphate?

As DJW said, it isn't possible to have a KH of 3 and a pH of 4.5. At least for the API test kit the KH solution is a small amount of acid and a pH indicator, the color change, blue to yellow is the same as the normal range pH indicator (i.e. yellow at 6.8). If you are already yellow with that indicator, and add more acid it isn't going to turn blue, and then yellow two drops later.

Can you put an airstone in a bucket of tap water and re-test?

Are you dosing anything?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast