ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do WCs straight from tap with prime kill BB?

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Do WCs straight from tap with prime kill BB?

Conditioning water, certainly in the winter, is highly advised. If your fish doesn't look comfortable right after the change, then you're shocking them. Shocking your fish on a regular basis is not a good idea.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    It was probably Filip who solved my problem then, so belated thanks Filip if I didn’t thank you a few years ago.
    Patty
    Thank you Patty for your kind words and comments .
    I don't recall if you said thanks back then , but knowing how kind and caring person you are , I'm pretty sure you've done it .

Quote Originally Posted by kim457 View Post
    Thank you! Yeah I noticed part of my heater was really slippery in the aging barrel. It's not necessarily harmful is it?
    It's not harmfull as far my experience with the slime buidup goes Kim , but it looks nasty and I always want to play on the safe side and keep things as sterile as I can .

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    I have been 30% water change twice per week. Tap water but use a shower head to get great aeration. Water direct into the tank then the Prime added after. Fish hide for a few minutes then are out begging for the usual handout after the change. I am now wondering if I should add the Prime before I add the water from the tap as opposed to after.
    Yes .definitely add dechlor prior the WC . Why expose your discus on chlorine or chloramine levels even if your refill time is only 10- 20 minutes . Beneficial bacteria will suffer loss too, if your filters are running while you pour chlorinated water in your tank .

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    You only need to use enough prime to treat the water you are replacing, not the entire tank...
    This is not true Brian .According to Seachem labaratories Safe and prime interact with the organics and toxins in the tank water too and they weaken its strength to deal with the tap chloramines /chlorines .That's why they advise that it's safer to add a full tank dose and avoid any chloramines left unchecked .
    Tank dosing prior WC - full tank volume ,
    Aging barrel dosing prior a WC - only the volume of the new water .

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Conditioning water, certainly in the winter, is highly advised. If your fish doesn't look comfortable right after the change, then you're shocking them. Shocking your fish on a regular basis is not a good idea.

Willie
    Agree with Willie . It's not wise to test their immunity on a regular basis . Even if they show discomfort only for a 20 minutes it's not something you should ignore .
    Last edited by Filip; 02-05-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Abel Salazar

What if tap water is way colder than tank water? is it safe to add water that is almost half the temperatura than the tank straight from the tap? Or must i warm it first? Is way harder to lift the water to the tank without a pump if i warm it first.

Thanks.

Registered Member

I realized that I should not dose prime according to volume because I do water changes everyday so it builds up in the water. Takes 48 hours to leave the water. I noticed my fish breathing rapidly so I had to remove some water and add water without prime because the prime depleted the oxygen Just a cautionary note

Registered Member

Do not dose prime according to tank volume if you do water changes every day ! The fish will suffocate

Registered Member

Thank you I almost learned that the hard way. I’m used to using aqueon dechlorinator. I think I may switch back because my tank is so clean and I do water changes so much that I have no use for the added chemicals in the prime I think

Not much to add here other than I drain my tank with a python hose and then add Prime to the other end and attach to the faucet and let 'er rip. Othan than micro-bubbles in the winter months, I have no other issues.

Real Name
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by chiod1 View Post
    Do not dose prime according to tank volume if you do water changes every day ! The fish will suffocate
    What? I’ve never heard this and I changed my Juvenile Discus water daily and added Prime based on tank size every day. No Problems. Anyone else heard of what he’s talking about??

It wasn't in the discus tank, but my wife used to pour a capful of prime for a 55G tank until I found out. Yes, a capful of powder from a 1kg bottle... the fish were fine. Ut i told her it was way too much. It takes a lot to overdose the stuff... it's basically sodium and sulfur.

I do small up to 25% WC cold from the tap on all my tanks. Larger ones I match temp. Small ones I do a slow fill.
    Eric

Registered Member

I have been doing some research on this and I have also has spoken to some breeders /Sellers from my understanding it is safe to use prime every day when doing Large water changes with tap water..

Registered Member

my understanding is that the prime will eat the oxygen in the tank IF there is not enough chlorine/chloramine or "waste", nitrates etc for it to attach to or dissolve....plus the prime lasts 48hrs in the tank SOOOO since I keep my tank immaculate and I do water changes everyday, it may be safe to say that some of my oxygen could be affected negatively I'm not saying anyone is wrong DOSING THE ENTIRE VOLUME OF THE TANK IS CORRECT, it even says it on the bottle. I checked after Filip advised me......but in my case its not that simple

Registered Member

my understanding is that the prime will eat the oxygen in the tank IF there is not enough chlorine/chloramine or "waste", nitrates etc for it to attach to or dissolve....plus the prime lasts 48hrs in the tank SOOOO since I keep my tank immaculate and I do water changes everyday, it may be safe to say that some of my oxygen could be affected negatively I'm not saying anyone is wrong DOSING THE ENTIRE VOLUME OF THE TANK IS CORRECT, it even says it on the bottle. I checked after Filip advised me......but in my case its not that simple
    Well unless you have a very anaerobic tank and very little water turn over I do not know how what you're stating could ever happen. IF you're doing very large water changes everyday then there is no way you could have a build up of prime/safe in the AQ. Many here have had good interaction with Seachem representatives and they have clearly spelled out the process of how it works in the water column. I've been using prime or safe for a good majority of my 40+ yrs of my fish keeping. I used Kordens original Novaqua and Amquel before that. Never have i ever had the the suffocation problem you have stated.
    By the way neither Prime or Safe has any affect on nitrates.

Registered Member

Blatantly false

Real Name
    Willie

You can dose 2X - 3 X Prime with no effect on the fish. I change water daily and often overdose.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Blatantly false
    That’s what I thought too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12