ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Having trouble feeding Discus

Registered Member

Default Having trouble feeding Discus

Hi,

so I have some new pigeon discus, about 5" each - they eat Frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and freeze dried blackworms enthusiastically, but completely ignore Sera Discus Granules. What can I do to get them to eat the Granules? I've read somewhere to stop feeding for a day to get them extra hungry, and then introduce the granules. Is that the right move?

What other must have foods should I introduce into the rotation besides frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and freeze dried blackworms? Thanks for your help!

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Having trouble feeding Discus

You don't have to change or add anything else to your current menu Kim . If you want to introduce new food give them the new food every day as their first meal and be prepared for a long battle( weeks to months ) , depending on how stubborn your discus will be.
    BTW . Be sure that frozen blodworms comes from a trusted source or brand , or else try to avoid them , as they may cary pathogens to your discus .

Registered Member

Wow they sure can be stubborn.

Are Hikari Blood Worms trusted enough?

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by kim457 View Post
    Wow they sure can be stubborn.

Are Hikari Blood Worms trusted enough?
    Yes they are . They bit me in the huger game once , when I gave up not feeding them their favourite food after 15 days of not eating . So patience is a virtue when it comes to new food , especially with older discus .

Hikari is considered the safest brand for bloodworms claiming their 3 stage uv sterilization process on the bloodworms .

Registered Member

I have 5 that each have different preferences. I rotate frozen beef heart, blood worms, and brine shrimp with freeze dried black worms and the Bio Gold, Vibra Bites, and Tetra Color. Three will eat the blood worms, black worms, and beef heart from my fingers. One likes to eat from the surface and four from the bottom. Some will readily eat the the Bites and Tetra Color, none seem to eat the Bio Gold. So what I do is to mix the three varieties of pellets with the black worms. Eventually all of it seems to get eaten. And three seem to like to eat at the left side of the tank and two at the right side of the tank. Much of the food seems to settle to the bottom in the middle so that is where the fighting goes on. And the black worms and the brine ship are the spinach added varieties.

Registered Member

Hello,, So frozen B shrimp/ or live, is safe to feed Discus? I have Heard And read about bloodworms Seems risky.
    Have you ever seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself

Real Name
    Steve

Both frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms are not considered very nutritious, being mostly water, and more of a treat. Probably not a high protein content and may do no harm if they are good quality. Filip seems to think the Hikari brand is "safe." Newly hatched baby brine shrimp are fed to fry because they're basically live egg yolks.

Registered Member

OK ty that’s good to know was going to try frozen beef heart and I’ve been feeding them freeze dried black worms. I have another question frozen beef heart some people say Defrost it then rinse it out some people say they just drop the cube right in the Fishtank any suggestions? Thanks again!
    Last edited by Rafael; 02-26-2019 at 01:15 PM.
    Have you ever seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    OK ty that’s good to know was going to try frozen beef heart and I’ve been feeding them freeze dried black worms. I have another question frozen beef heart some people say Defrost it then rinse it out some people say they just drop the cube right in the Fishtank any suggestions? Thanks again!
    Generally any frozen food can be pitched right into the tank... It thaws so rapidly its not a problem. And if you thaw and rinse your beefheart you will probably lose much of the good stuff that was added to the bh mix.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images