AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New wiggles success

Registered Member

Default Re: New wiggles success

Is been like this since this time yesterday. I counted about 150 Wiggler's not attached to parents. Any advice they need cleaner water but maybe they can't see parents to attach

Real Name
    Steve

Change the water as best you can. Use a net or floss or something to avoid the fry. As close to same temp as possible ( a couple degrees). Wrap the tank in white paper. Leave a night light on in the room. You're getting the parents to be dark shadows to attract the fry. No guarantee, but a technique that might work somewhat. As parents get more experienced, I think they do more to herd the fry. It might just work out better next time around.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lewjo11 View Post
    Can't see the fry in the picture. Are they still in clusters or are they swimming at the surface?

Cliff

Registered Member

I decided to experiment. I got a bunch of empty glass jars and a small shot glass. I scooped up around 150 Wiggler's maybe more. Even off the black sponge. Then I emptied the tank till the parents are just upright. They did have around ten or so around there body .they are trying to block them. Yes most of them are swimming at the top. Temp was less the 1 degree C I think. It took time to scoop the up and pour them back. I added back a little more then I took out... Parents seen to be okay with me doing this. They still show concern. I left the lid off for now. I return every hour or so to scoop them up and pour them out between the parents.

Registered Member

Does anyone think I should take the sponge filter out? I can throw it in another tank temp.

Are you saying I should turn all the lights out tonight and turn on my small lamp. My lamp is a dollar store one the shows extremely low light. Kinda a joke but it may work in this situation.

Registered Member

Registered Member

I'm trying your idea. With black sponge filter in tank. Thinking about just taking it out since it's the darkest thing on the tank

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I think I remember someone using only moon lights for PB parents. The moon lights help to darken the parents since PBs can not darken on their own.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Left the lamp on and although there not attached to parents they are near then and the parents are blocking them off. Not on the very top anymore. Still looking at over 100 Wiggler's . Strange they don't attached but many are on the glass. Parents are very cool and focused! I found about 10 plus wondering and a few on black sponge. I removed with a small shot glass and poured then between the parents. They don't mind at all an sometime put in there month and spit them on the glass

Registered Member

I turned the light back on just to look for a few hours then I will turn it off and keep room darker. I have another tank near them also with possible breeders I will use that light only today. Hope they attach today

Registered Member

I only have a 15 watt light at night, sometimes no light.

You might want to take out the sponge and lower the
    air the fry tend to swim around the bubbles during
    night time causing some lost.

Cliff

Registered Member

I just have a sponge now. I added an air Stone and even at low they where drawn to it. At work now. Rolling with the other tanks light only. Seems like 90% of swimmers where being guarded well by parents. Others around tank and some on sponge. I think I'm lucky that the parents aren't scared I just scoop them up and pour the swimmers back in between the parents. Just wish my water was cleaner. Once they attach I will raise it up. I'm added a little prime 2 times a day hopefully that helps.

Registered Member

Well the night before yesterday they finally attached is was heard work as I manually poured them between the two parents and was blessed they did scare. I lost many cause I dropped my nasty sponge filter in the tank while removing it and the tank got dark brown! And I added back another cycled sponge today. Today I have 8 that are attached. Will see what happens ... When is a good time to make the live brine shrimp? Do I have another week?

Registered Member

How many days are the fry free swimming?

Cliff

Registered Member

Well I'm down to 1 swimmer attached to one Parent. I moved the other out 2 days ago cause they where fighting and not sure what happen to the other 6. One isn't worth the effort but I'll leave it be to find out what happened to it. Maybe just let it feed of parent for a while. I believe many died due to the water condition. I may not have allowed the tank to cycle or the sponge was too dirty! Not expecting much form just one baby fry but will see

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast