ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New wiggles success

Registered Member

Default Re: New wiggles success

Registered Member

How long can one swimmer live of a parent?
    Weeks? Don't want to hatch live bb for one. Can I do something else. Frozen?

Registered Member

As you can see in the picture the tail on parent is bad. Probably due to horrible water

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lewjo11 View Post
    How long can one swimmer live of a parent?
    Weeks? Don't want to hatch live bb for one. Can I do something else. Frozen?
    I was in the same boat as you couple of months ago. My young neon sapphire pair had two wigglers on them. The parents didn't turn dark so the other wigglers kept going to the sponge filter. The parents were great but I decided to let the parents raise them a little bigger until I try BB. The parents wanted to breed again so they ate the two babies. I have not had wigglers since.

I was stuck in between like you. Too much work for just two babies.

Real Name
    Patty

I don’t have any advice but had to compliment you on that beautiful pair and the way you handled your situation by thinking out of the box. I think it may have been Sanjay (a member here) who put a blue light on the tank which made the parents look blue and the babies found them. I think that’s what Pat is referring to when she recommended the moon light.
    Good luck with the next spawn!
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Lew, I'm late on the thread and sorry you lost your fry. They will probably lay again in the next 2 weeks.

Heres what I would do this time and theres many other ways that work but this is what I have done and do.

1)Let them breed again, once they lay and fertilze eggs , screen them if egg eaters and carefully do a water change

2)Next just cover the sides of the tank and forget about them. Don't feed them, or if you do , do it one time a day and lightly. Don't do water changes, don't worry about wiping the tank walls.

3)Once the fry go freeswimming remove the sponges, rinse them well and place in a shopping bag thats closed but not airtight. You will put these back in after the fry have attached.

4)Leave the sponge cages or use an airstone for the aeration. It doesn't need to be violently pumping air, gentle air flow is best or you just blow the fry all over the place.

5)Drop the water level to the back of the pair so they are upright and covered but not much more then that.

6) Move the light over to one side of the tank or cover half the tanks lid so theres a light gradient. Leave the lights on 24/7

7) Leave all the tank walls covered through all this.

In the next 24 hours the fry should attach...Let them feed off the parents a solid day, then add your sponges and slowly raise the water level with aged water.

As insurance, when you see them starting to go free swimming make your first batch of BBS incase they don't attach and you need to feed them.

This stuff work for me.....hopefully it does you.

also.. That tail isn't from the water its from the pair tail nipping... often happens when a new pair is frustrated with each other and the fry.... keep an eye on them for aggression. If you are careful you can easily trim that tail if starts to show signs of fungus.

hth,
    al

Next drop the water
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-15-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Thanks for all advice and feedback! I will document next time they spawn... Actually they did a great job problem was attachment. I will use bits and pieces off all advice along with Sanjoy. I purchased blue lights for my 2 of three breeding tanks. $9 each on Amazon.. and I recently covered the backs and sides of my tanks. One white on Blue...

Registered Member

Registered Member

Registered Member

Registered Member

The last one I believe there both female lol. 💯 on the blue. Will watch the red one closer. They have layed eggs like crazy in my community tank. Will see

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123