AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: water softener salt warning

Default water softener salt warning

Hello all,

I use a fair amount of salt here in my breeding of fry to hatch out baby brine shrimp. I use water softener salt to do this. I also use it on occasion in salt dips and baths for Discus. The water softener salt is cheap and does the job and I have a very good system that works for me.I usually use Mortons Brand or agways. These are very clean and pure salt sources.

I was out of salt and needed to buy some but being pressed for time and trying make the best use of time I picked up a bag of Chlorox Simply Salt.. I looked up reviews and they were sparse though their were a few complaints mostly by people that use the pool version of it having iron in it. For my needs, I thought it should be okay. I figured with a brand name like Clorox it should be at least ok right?

simply-salt.jpg

On the surface it looks ok, but I have come to think they misnamed it. It should be called Chlorox Simply Garbage! Saying it has A little Iron doesn't do it justice. My salt pail is literally brown with it.

2019-02-16 07.32.40.jpg

I would stay clear of this brand. I would not buy it for your fishroom uses and definitely stay away from it for you home use!

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-20-2019 at 09:15 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: water softener salt warning

Whatever were they thinking? Folks who use this for home use will find their whites turning brown when they do laundry!

I just use salt from the grocery store. It's cheap enough.
    Mama Bear

Default Re: water softener salt warning

I used to do that too Liz, but the process for me kind of evolved. The morton's salt I use normally at homedepot is $7.31 for 40 lbs. hard to beat cost wise. I take that salt and dump about half into a 5 gal pail. fill the rest with water. Then when I am making my daily brine shrimp salt water, I just take some of that water, add a pinch of baking soda and epsom salt and dilute it to my target specific gravity. The whole process for me takes about 2 mins.

when I need the salt for a bath or dip I weigh the crystals and dissolve what I need.

Makes me feel like a mad scientist,,,lol ...but it also works very well for me.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images