AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New wiggles success

Registered Member

Default New wiggles success

I finally have succeeded! Wiggles. It's been a solid day. They have taken the wigglers and moved them from one side of the cone to the other. Yesterday I did a half tank water change right before the hatches. Last 3 days I turned the tank light off at night and used a dim desk lamp on the floor pointed at the tank. Now the wigglers possible over 100-300? Are crazy the parents are extra busy picking them up and spitting them back on the cone. Tank is set at 28.5C. Tank is 29g and I'm using a over tank filter set on low and a sponge xlarge.

1) tank looks a little cloudy change water?
    2) tank is full to top when to lower the level
    3) should I raise the temperature
    4)should I remove the hanging filter?
    5) turn the dim lamp on? I am leaving the tank light on cause they are really wiggling crazy they are falling on cone.

Any other advice. I know I have to lower the water level and remove the over hanging filter but when is the best time. I do have 2 cycles sponge filters on cycle standby..in the my 90g.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: New wiggles success

Congrats Lewjo .I can imagine the excitement having wrigglers for the first time.
    I will leave answers to your questions to the experienced breeders and I will keep my fingers crossed for your first baby discus .Good luck

Registered Member

I am now worried. I forgot to plug the.top of the cone. The wigglers are all racing to the top. I fear the will fall in

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Lewjo11 View Post
    I am now worried. I forgot to plug the.top of the cone. The wigglers are all racing to the top. I fear the will fall in
    Stuff it with sponge or floss until you think of better solution

Registered Member

Woke up and still have a bunch of Wiggler's. Hope someone can help out. .the Wiggler's are still near the very top my main worry is the hole on the cone and the tank is dirty on the sides and in...hate to disturb them..when's a good time

Registered Member

Registered Member

Registered Member

BTW decided to clean the tank. Took the risk.

Real Name
    Jeff

Okay a few things. First off very nice looking pair. Is this their first batch of wigglers? If so they will probably eat them anyway. Its rare to get first time parents to raise them all the way up, so if it happens don't stress over it. Next up stick a cotton ball in the top of the cone so they don't get lost in there. After these wigglers pull the pot out and use superglue and a piece of plastic to seal the hole. Next tip, a clean tank is always worth the disturbance. I would wipe the sides down. Maybe 1 side a day so the water doesn't get too full of gunk. Keep up on the water changes but don't drop the water level below where they are on the cone. If you fill the tank up you can probably still change 50% before getting to the cone. I would only use the sponge filter on a breeder tank. That sponge is more then enough to handle the pair with 50% daily water changes.

As for lowering the water level and all that, you probably will have to. You need to start worrying about attaching once they start wandering away from the cone on their own. The parents for a certain amount of time will try to keep the on the cone, and then they will give up and at that point the babies need to attach and if they don't you need to try things like lowering the tank level and playing with the light. They are a very light pair and attaching might be tricky. First up I would tape white paper on 3 sides of the tank to make the parents stand out even more to the babies. Also I recommend using the search function on the site. This topic has been discussed many times and you will find dozens of tips people have used to get free swimmers to attach to light pigeon or albino parents. Reading through 15 years of accumulated knowledge on this site will give you much better information then just a few answers people will leave in this thread.

Registered Member

Wow, Congrats looks like they might be free swimming in a couple days.

Cliff

Registered Member

Well tank sides are horrible. I did a bucket change this morning. And added two buckets!. I left the house. Just got home and now there are no Wiggler's on the cone. Some are free swimming and many are in the black sponge filter. Need advice asap. I think they are to Young to free swimming and the parents are no where near the sponge...please. Help.. thank you

Registered Member

This issue is I have about 100-200 Wiggler's all at the very top of the tank they are all cluttered in bunches. 5 10 all together. Only a few 10 at most near parents.. I've tried brushing them over to parents. So sometimes the part put them in there month and try to spit them of the glass I lowed the water to 2 inches above there swim level I took the cone out. Maybe they can attach... Hope one sponge gives them enough air.. I'm leaving soon and will not be back home till late tomorrow....fingers crossed

Real Name
    Jeff

This is typical of new parents. There is not much you can do, give them the best conditions possible and cross your fingers. Its not unusual for it to take a dozen or more spawns before the parents get it right. I might look to finding a cheese cloth to put over the sponge filter so the dark sponge doesn't attract the babies as they try and find the parents.

Registered Member

This is my tank now

Registered Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast