Cafepress Store     Golden State Discus

Thread: lowering ph

Registered Member
    iTrader

Default lowering ph

There are many chemicals on the market to lower the ph however I have found that the ph will always return to what it was. Does this mean that one has to add the chemical of choice every day to keep the ph down. Is there perhaps a easier way.

iTrader
    12 (100%)

Default Re: lowering ph

Adding pH lowering chemicals is never a good idea for that very reason. Discus need stability in their water chemistry and the constant down-up, down-up you get with the addition of chemicals is bad for them.

Folks here with pH in the 8's keep discus without a problem. The only reason most of us lower it is if we want to breed since hard water makes the egg shells so hard that the babies can't escape to become wigglers. In that case we use RO water or filtered rain water to lower the pH.
    Mama Bear

Platinum Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    There are many chemicals on the market to lower the ph however I have found that the ph will always return to what it was. Does this mean that one has to add the chemical of choice every day to keep the ph down. Is there perhaps a easier way.
    Speaking generally, you don't need to spend the money or lower your PH. Discus love stable water. I have read on the forum of people keeping discus very successfully with PH above 8. Years ago, I tried that route of adding chemicals to lower/raise PH. You will have a lighter wallet and a lot of frustration - and possibly dead fish.

Registered Member
    iTrader

I wouldn't mess with it either. But you can use sphagnum moss or peat to lower pH. Either in a mesh bag in a sump or pack it in a tray in a canister filter. But unless you fully understand the buffering capacity of your water and have a good pH testing pen, I really would leave well enough alone. PH crashes can happen and could kill your fish.