ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lowering ph

Registered Member

Default lowering ph

There are many chemicals on the market to lower the ph however I have found that the ph will always return to what it was. Does this mean that one has to add the chemical of choice every day to keep the ph down. Is there perhaps a easier way.

Default Re: lowering ph

Adding pH lowering chemicals is never a good idea for that very reason. Discus need stability in their water chemistry and the constant down-up, down-up you get with the addition of chemicals is bad for them.

Folks here with pH in the 8's keep discus without a problem. The only reason most of us lower it is if we want to breed since hard water makes the egg shells so hard that the babies can't escape to become wigglers. In that case we use RO water or filtered rain water to lower the pH.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    There are many chemicals on the market to lower the ph however I have found that the ph will always return to what it was. Does this mean that one has to add the chemical of choice every day to keep the ph down. Is there perhaps a easier way.
    Speaking generally, you don't need to spend the money or lower your PH. Discus love stable water. I have read on the forum of people keeping discus very successfully with PH above 8. Years ago, I tried that route of adding chemicals to lower/raise PH. You will have a lighter wallet and a lot of frustration - and possibly dead fish.

Registered Member

I wouldn't mess with it either. But you can use sphagnum moss or peat to lower pH. Either in a mesh bag in a sump or pack it in a tray in a canister filter. But unless you fully understand the buffering capacity of your water and have a good pH testing pen, I really would leave well enough alone. PH crashes can happen and could kill your fish.

Registered Member

I brought from jug of RO water (5 gallons) from a water company, I got a breeding pair which laid eggs four times already, but turn white the next day, PH is obviously too high, so can you please tell me how much or percentage of RO water can I add each day when doing water change to lower the PH gradually, so the fish will not stress out ? Do I have to put airstone in RO water before adding to the tank ? Please help and thank you. I want to post this question, but I am new, do not know where I can even post question, except looking a thread or other people's questions.

Buying RO water is an expensive route, not to mention heavy to accomplish your goal
    I'd suggest buying an RO filter and making your own with the more costly up front.
    But I found that adding peat (organic) to my tank or filter does the trick every time.
    It can be a little messy but once you do it a few times it becomes minimal.
    It's not an exact science so you'll have to play with quantity and how often to replace it, but generally every 2 weeks.
    You can put it in a filter sock or a ladies stocking and it will be like a large tea bag.
    Use a short length of +/- 3" pvc as a sleeve to fill the bag.

You're going to have to buy an RO unit and figure it out for yourself. Buying RO will put you in the poor house. Do you know you gH and Kh? I sold my RO unit when I found that Roobios tea made it so my water was conducive to eggs hatching. Fluvic acid is another thing that works. The problem with peat is that takes a long time before it releases it's tannins.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 06-12-2019 at 02:25 PM.
    Mama Bear

Geez' Liz... 24 hours isn't that long :-D lol
    Though your suggestions are neater. Albeit a little more costly as well.

Registered Member

How high is your ph because my Discus spawn in a ph of 8.9.

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    Geez' Liz... 24 hours isn't that long :-D lol
    Though your suggestions are neater. Albeit a little more costly as well.
    I've used it and it took a lot longer than 24 hrs.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    How high is your ph because my Discus spawn in a ph of 8.9.

Cliff

That's why I asked about his gH and kH. Everyone's water is different. I bet that yours has a low kH. My water is just pH 7.2 and I still need to treat it to get the eggs to hatch.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I've used it and it took a lot longer than 24 hrs.
    As you just so wisely stated... Everyone's water is different ;-)

yep
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I would be more focused on lowering your GH. Can you measure your GH? Also how are you handling your water. There is an art to handling RO water. Best to know your TDS, KH and GH and then target a GH of about 70 or so. You will want to mix RO water with tap in an aging barrow. Dial in the GH (track your RO, tap water ratios and/or your TDS so you can mix it easier next time. I would not suggest adding RO water directly to a tank.

Also try the tea as Liz suggested as a starting point.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Pat
    I'm sorry but I don't believe the tea lowers the pH and is actually considered to be an alkaline tea... though I don't think it's strong enough to move the needle.
    But it can have some beneficial uses in a discus aquarium.

So springer... I think the question posed by others is relevant to what's the best way for you to proceed... Why do you want to keep your pH lower?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast