AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: lowering ph

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: lowering ph

All you need to do is get a bucket put water in and stir in some peat and take a reading before and after, to see how quick the reaction really is. Of course the ratio to tank and bucket should be the same. For example, if you have a 10 bucket tank only put in the amount of peat that would have been in one bucket. So, if your using 10 cups for the tank just use 1 cup in the bucket. That is just an example you will not need 10 cups for your tank. Peat is great and fish some SA fish love and thrive well in tannins. My wild discus seemed to do well in peat water when I had those. I used it just because it looked more natural for wild discus, in planted tank.

I get you! ;-)
    But more so the reasoning behind not being more scientific about the approach was that it worked well from the start and I kinda did it by eye.
    I cook the same way so don't ever ask me for a recipe cause what you'll get is some of this and a little of that :-D
    And I agree about the SA fish and the tannins and that's why I'm more likely to use peat over other solutions.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Crystal, I think letting the fish simply mature and grow is the right answer for now.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    The PH of my tap water is 7.6
    Some folks would kill for that water. Your Ph is fine for domestic discus. Stability is the key. You will more than likely see some decline in ph over a short period of time anyways due to the ions produced by metabolized waste.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Some folks would kill for that water. Your Ph is fine for domestic discus. Stability is the key. You will more than likely see some decline in ph over a short period of time anyways due to the ions produced by metabolized waste.
    I am considering the rooibos tea and have learned that Rooibos tea is not really tea. It is a legume which is imported. Rooibos used as a tonic would be a second potential benefit for the fish. There is a claim that rooibos will eradicate algae to some extent, which is something that I would be interested in experimenting. Back in the day when I had a Discus breeding operation going I would add peat moss the the filters. I am wondering if the rooibos will act much in the same way. Thanks Liz for bringing this up.

It is slightly alkaline. That's why I was so amazed when it worked for me.
    Mama Bear

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123