ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New Discus tank with 4 three inches Discus need help !

Registered Member

Question New Discus tank with 4 three inches Discus need help !

I set up a bare tank for my 4 three inch Discus with two planted amazon sword in clay pots, at first they seems fine, but then I think I put more fish food in than enough since couple of them seems to be dominant, eat almost everything and left one almost nothing to eat. So instead of letting the Tetra Color Tropical granules floating, I put them in a bowl and stand for 5 min to soften them so it will sink to the bottom, I even make the granules smaller such that one poor Discus can have some food. Then I suck back up the leftover at the bottom of the tank.

I guess I made a big mistake, the water start changing sort of off white color, and one of the Red Melon Discus is losing its vibrant color, turn a bit pink and pale. The rest is scrapping on the heater. I test the water for ammonia, it was 0.5, I do a 50% water change with water conditioner and give them no food. They seems much better, but the water still got ammonia though less, on the third day of 50% water change, the Red Melon Discus got back all her color and looks even better. Today is the 4th day of 50% water change, there is still ammonia about 0.17. I have add a lot of beneficial bacteria to the biological filter, should I still do water change tomorrow or wait for the cycle to click in?? I have no given food to them for 4 days now.

I have another single big Discus in a 20 gallon bare tank by itself as long time ago, he attacked the other one, left him no food, finally became so thin, it died. So he is by himself right now. He eat a lot, but even with food on the bottom before I do 25% water change, his tank is crystal clear, ammonia is Zero. I cannot exchange the established filter since that filter is smaller than this tank. Should I during water change take away 1/3 of his water and give it to the other tank, as I have to give him fresh water change anyway. Will it do any good? 1/3 will be only about 6 gallon, it is only 1/5 of the water for the 35 gallon tank, will that help at all OR should I go to buy ammo lock. Kindly advise, I am new to this site.

Default Re: New Discus tank with 4 three inches Discus need help !

Keep doing water change. Go with 80% daily if you can. The beneficial bacteria lives in the filter not in the water so massive water changes always help. It is recommended that you have at least 5 Discus in a tank. Six is better. With fewer fish, one is often picked on and doesn't get enough to eat.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

I may have missed it but what size is your bare tank?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stuart

Are you still having problems.

Registered Member

Thank you ! I did not know my post got answers until I found out from management just yesterday how to go to profile and click on latest post to find my post to see the answers. They are fine, now, I did do lots of water change every day, and put in prime until such that the ammonia will not harm my fish until the bacteria build up in the filter. I did brought the 5 ones, and so now I have this post about two of them pair off, and start posting question again, not until now I saw your answer. Thank you !

Registered Member

My tank is fine now after lots of water change and put prime in. As I told the other member, I did not even know how to find my own post to see people's answer till yesterday June 14, when I post another post about 2 of them pair up and need help again as 4 times the female laid eggs, they all turn white the next day. Until now when I saw answers to my question, that I find there were answers to my earlier question in Feb. Sorry I did not get back to you earlier, but thanks anyway