ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Tree fell over.... didn't damage house

Real Name
    Dave

Default Tree fell over.... didn't damage house

We have been having high winds here blowing the snow around here in Boardman, OR (NE Oregon about 30 miles west of Hermiston, and 55 miles west of Pendleton), and the wind finally took out a 40 year old Blue Spruce tree.

Thankfully the tree didn't hurt the house when it fell, but unfortunately it did knock the satellite dish around a bit.

New dish will be going up on Tuesday evening after 4:00 pm, and hopefully I can get most of the tree out of the way by then.

Nobody was hurt, and we still have electricity, plenty of food, and a means to get to the little grocery store, gas station, or small hardware store.

I was unable to get my chainsaw started, but it hasn't been run in a few years. I think a quick trip to the repair shop and it should fire right up as it probably needs the fuel system cleaned and a new spark plug.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Tree fell over.... didn't damage house

Hey Dave,
    I just posted about how I liked the snowpack when I saw your post. Hope you guys stay safe.
    Steve

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Hey Dave,
    I just posted about how I liked the snowpack when I saw your post. Hope you guys stay safe.
    Steve
    We are safe, and we need the snow. It wasn't the snow that took out the tree as it was the sand soil and high winds.

We are only mildly inconvenienced as when the tree came down it bent and re-aligned the satellite dish.

I will make an announcement tomorrow at church and most likely will have a crew to remove the tree, and If I don't get a crew that way I can pay a tree service .

The good news is with the tree laying where it is there won't be snow drifts in front of the front door.

My wife and sons helped move tree limbs I cut as the tree limbs were blocking the path to the front door. I broke out the old bow saw and cut a few off so now all of our doors are accessible.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Gerald Mann

Glad to hear you are safe - and with minimal damage. We experienced the same high winds and snow here in Victoria, BC. We had a large Hemlock come down, taking out power for about 5 houses. It took BC Hydro about 14 hours to get us back on, and the house was starting to get rather cool. Glad I didn't have any tanks running with expensive fish at the moment! Will need to consider how to deal with power outages in the future!

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    We are safe, and we need the snow. It wasn't the snow that took out the tree as it was the sand soil and high winds.

We are only mildly inconvenienced as when the tree came down it bent and re-aligned the satellite dish.

I will make an announcement tomorrow at church and most likely will have a crew to remove the tree, and If I don't get a crew that way I can pay a tree service .

The good news is with the tree laying where it is there won't be snow drifts in front of the front door.

My wife and sons helped move tree limbs I cut as the tree limbs were blocking the path to the front door. I broke out the old bow saw and cut a few off so now all of our doors are accessible.
    Glad to hear. Sometimes you get to feel good about just being able to deal with it!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

All everyone is safe Dave and hopefully this is not a big deal.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Glad the tree did not land on the house Dave! WE have had a few years here in my area that have been real hard on the trees, Drought,then heavy rains and winds, insect outbreaks, ice storms that are not in season, all these have left us with many broken and weakened trees. Been lucky so far but my yard and woods look a battle zone.

On your chain saw, If it was sitting a few years, the gas is probably bad. Small engines do not like the ethanol added to the gas, it absorbs water, and gunks up carburetors. When you store it long term, adding fuel stabilizer will give a good 6-12 months storage but best way I have found is store it empty and periodically start it. 2 cycle engines really like fresh gas..so mix up the fuel/oil as needed in small amounts if you don't use it often, Lastly on the saw if you drain out the old gas and make up some new, often thats alls it will take to get a stalled chain saw started again..

Products like this ...https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-Red...0010/300456159

echo-oils-lubricants-additives-7450010-64_1000.jpg

are great to store in the tank and also can de-gunk the carbs. I have great success using them in the past.

hth and glad you are well!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    All everyone is safe Dave and hopefully this is not a big deal.
    Pat
    Thanks Pat. Got the quote to have the tree removed today.... It will hurt the pocket book, but I will be able to recover

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Glad the tree did not land on the house Dave! WE have had a few years here in my area that have been real hard on the trees, Drought,then heavy rains and winds, insect outbreaks, ice storms that are not in season, all these have left us with many broken and weakened trees. Been lucky so far but my yard and woods look a battle zone.

On your chain saw, If it was sitting a few years, the gas is probably bad. Small engines do not like the ethanol added to the gas, it absorbs water, and gunks up carburetors. When you store it long term, adding fuel stabilizer will give a good 6-12 months storage but best way I have found is store it empty and periodically start it. 2 cycle engines really like fresh gas..so mix up the fuel/oil as needed in small amounts if you don't use it often, Lastly on the saw if you drain out the old gas and make up some new, often thats alls it will take to get a stalled chain saw started again..

Products like this ...https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-Red...0010/300456159

echo-oils-lubricants-additives-7450010-64_1000.jpg

are great to store in the tank and also can de-gunk the carbs. I have great success using them in the past.

hth and glad you are well!

al
    Al,
    Thank you very much; I will look for some of this Echo gas to use to get the saw started again.

Real Name
    Kane Archer

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post

God bless you! Good to hear you are safe. But literally we have no idea how this universe operate in weirdest ways possible and amazes us everyday.