AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Tank set up/water conditions?

Registered Member

Default Tank set up/water conditions?

Hello, So I am starting up a 75 gallon tank, I plan on buying some discus from Kenny as soon as my tank is ready. I have been speaking to Kenny about set up he directed me to this blog for more info, he has been very good with answering any questions He seems to be a great guy! Was just looking for some more info/Guidance. I’m doing a fishless cycle without adding any fish food or ammonia Etc.. Basically have the tank running all I added was some prime! Have my water temperature is set at 82 to 83°, I have two canister filters Fluval 306 and the 406 running! Two 300w Fluval heaters A little bit of gravel on the bottom with a couple pieces of driftwood and some fake decorative plants not muchI have had tanks before just never kept discus. Was hoping you guys can just guide me on what to look for and how to determine if my tank is ready to bring home the new guys. Thanks ahead of time appreciate your time and info!

Registered Member

Default Re: Tank set up/water conditions?

Yes, Kenny is one of the good places to buy your fish. He is very responsive to email questions. His fish are among the best anywhere. With that said his fish are very forgiving. I set up my tank two days before my Kenny fish arrived. Used tap water from a garden hose and then heated it to 83 degrees. Added chemicals to eliminate chlorine and to establish bio. I started with black sand, plants and two branches but quickly changed to bare tank and one branch. I run two exterior filters. After 5 months the five fishes are happy, growing, eat almost anything. The five ranged from 3.5 inches to 5.5 inches but all seem larger now. I would think that you can tend toward the side of caution yet you could over think it as well. I began keeping and breeding wild discus back when they were the only option to be had. Even then it was 20 gallon bare tank, and blended beef heart, and peat moss in the filter. That simple. Now it is even easier than that. Fresh water seems to be the key along with a huge selection of good diet foods.

Real Name
    Willie

How are you going to start a fishless cycle without adding ammonia?
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

If you don't add ammonia your tank will never get cycled.

Real Name
    Steve

You can use the search window for "fishless cycle" and get more info.

Registered Member

Hey thanks for the reply. Not sure if that is exactly the right thing to do that’s why am asking. When I spoke to Kenny I believe he told me not to add anything our connection was kind of poor and we did not talk for that long that’s why I was uncertain. He was going to send me a medium sponge with the delivery of my fish and have them Start the process. But from my research it’s saying I should not do that so I am kind of stuck in the middle, I know Kenny knows what he’s talking about I just wanted to look into the matter a little more. It’s definitely possible that I misunderstood him.

Registered Member

Hey thanks for the reply. Not sure if that is exactly the right thing to do that’s why am asking. When I spoke to Kenny I believe he told me not to add anything our connection was kind of poor and we did not talk for that long that’s why I was uncertain. He was going to send me a medium sponge with the delivery of my fish and have them Start the process. But from my research it’s saying I should not do that so I am kind of stuck in the middle, I know Kenny knows what he’s talking about I just wanted to look into the matter a little more. It’s definitely possible that I misunderstood him.

Registered Member

Hey thanks for the reply. So do you think it would be safe just to use the bio sponge he’s going to send me at the same time he sends the fish. or should I add something now? I do tend to overthink things sometimes but being these fish are quite expensive I’m trying to leave very little room for error. My tank will probably be running for 3 to 4 weeks before I even get to fish due to the fact that he sells out quickly!

Make life easy on yourself and just get the sponge from Kenny.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Ty

Registered Member

That Doesn’t sound like a bad idea.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Now I’m not the expert that many are here, but my thinking would be to raise your water temp to 85-86 to get things going. You can always slowly back off to your 83 later on. Slightly higher temps would, imo, aid in eating start up and help them from feeling at all sluggish. Again.....this is what I have done, and btw, my go to man for Discus is also Kenny.....a totally awesome guy w awesome fish. Incidentally......I’m getting a pkg from him tomorrow.....can’t wait.
    Last edited by 14Discus; 02-12-2019 at 01:22 AM.

Registered Member

Sounds good I appreciate The advice!.. I actually spoke to Kenny last night and took some time to explain everything to me and advise me on how to do it the way he does! He did mention the temperature like you did thanks again! ���� Any recommendations on food I know it has to be high-protein just trying to pick a good one out and somewhere to get it.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    Sounds good I appreciate The advice!.. I actually spoke to Kenny last night and took some time to explain everything to me and advise me on how to do it the way he does! He did mention the temperature like you did thanks again! ���� Any recommendations on food I know it has to be high-protein just trying to pick a good one out and somewhere to get it.
    Variety. There seems to be so many good ones to choose from. And I think, for sake of boredom, that the fishes like variety as well. I feed frozen and freeze dry. Frozen beef heart in morning (I just read that Hans has a blend of heart, shrimp, cod, and peas. I am going to try that one soon.), the black worms seem to be a favorite for dried. I feed frozen shrimp and blood worms. Plus the fishes like Hikari Vibra Bites and Tetra Color. Variety is the spice of life, as they say.

Registered Member

Sounds good thanks for the info..